Gate Valve or Ball Valve

Page 2 of 2
Thanks Folks. I think after looking at it all, I'd prefer to use a ball valve. Only issue I have is these valves (two of them, service and a drain) will need to be operated from approx. 3ft away. These are located in a crawl space and it's prohibitive for my guests (mother etc..) to crawl under there every time they go up there to turn on/off the water. So, with the ball valve, I'm not sure I can build a handle extension that would not put undue stress on the pipe. With the gate valve, the valve handle is different and an extension could be used quite easily without putting undo stress on the piping. So it looks like I'm relegated to using a gate valve unless someone knows where "handle extensions" are available. Cheers, cc
Hey, anybody here know which is better for throttling water flow? a gate valve or a ball valve?
On 9/9/2005 3:19 PM US(ET), Cubby took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

How about drilling a hole in the ball valve handle, then attaching a 3'- 4' 1/4" steel rod with a bolt and nut? Pull/push the rod to open/close the valves.
--
Bill

Thanks. Might work if I plan to turn the valve. I hadn't planned on that but let me check to see if it'll work. Thanks!!!
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 17:18:35 -0700, Cubby wrote:

Make sure the steel rod isn't at a 90 degree angle to the pipe, or you may find that turning the valve on might be a little problematic. ;-)
--
Keith