Gas stove top igniters

Our Jennair gas stove-top igniters all spark when opening a burner. Increasingly, we have igniters sparking for up to a dozen times after the gas has ignited. We have tried all of the easiest remedies such as cleaning the metal surfaces and the insulator materials, called the gas company to see if there might be a moisture interaction, called JennAir, but no answers.
The igniters behave normally and do spark only once when the burner is warm from a previous use. Any ideas? We could change out the igniters but they are all sparking with a lot of power.
We would let things be, but wonder if we are shortening the igniters' lives by letting them spark so many times.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We have a Jennair also. It was the only unit the store had and it was the floor model. After it was installed, the controller has been replaced
twice under warranty. The problem was the spark igniters continued to spark after a burner lit.
But the unit now behaves exactly as you described. I'm not sure about the unit being warm, but more like the elapsed time from previous use, like overnight. The unit has been working as you described for over 3 years. I guess this is the way the controller is designed to work. You and I are witnesses.
"jones snipped-for-privacy@efn.org" wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jones snipped-for-privacy@efn.org wrote:

Believe this is the way all igniters work. It's a heat thing, once heat is generated the igniters shut down. Your furnace if it's a forced air unit probably does the same thing.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi,
Model# of the unit? http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

No matter which burner is turned on all of the electrodes will spark but once the flame is lite it is suppose to send a signal back to the spark module to tell it to stop clicking/sparking.

I don't believe you are hurting the electrodes at all. Dirty/cracked electrode, pinched electrode wire, bad spark module, cracked/bad switch, power reversed polarity problem are some trouble makers that will make the problem often occur.
jeff. Appliance Repair Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I agree. The "ignitor" on a spark ignition system is just a piece of wire in a ceramic insulator. I don't see how it could get damaged (besides physically) although I guess it might loose some atoms at the molecular level. The insulators can crack and cause an intermittent short to ground.
An improperly polarized power supply can cause such a thing even after operating Ok for years connected the same way. My guess would be the spark module itself. You can see popular Jenn Air modules at the links below.
Spark Module, blue http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc039
Newer white spark module http://ng.appliance411.com/data.php?rc@0570
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+Jenn-Air+range
=~~~~~~
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.