Gas grill question

Page 1 of 2
My gas grill is over 20 years old, I have rebuilrt it several times. replaced burners, hoses, regulator, dissembled completely and ran alunimum castings thru self clean cycle of gas stove, it came out like new. I have kept it for sentimental reasons, it is one of the few things of my moms, she died almost 9 years ago, plus it appears to do a better job than current grills. mine uses lava rocks.
Now a friend bought a brand new grill and reported their old lava rock one worked better, appeared hotter.
anyone know why the newer grill dont appear to work as good?
my friend is thinkingf of returning their new grill and fixing the old one
my wife is pushing for a new grill and i dont want to buy a poor one
anyone have any knowledge about this? anyone still make a older style lava rock grill?

Is there a difference in the grills? I thought it was just personal preference rather than a difference in the grill? You can buy replacement bags of lava rock, or the molded brick type at Wal Mart. Use whichever you prefer. It seem though that 1 bag is not enough, I need 1.5 to 2 bags. Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My guess is they just don't make anything to last like they once did. My new Sears stainless grill is not lasting like my older lava rock grill did. I had a relative that worked with GM and his job was to research old parts taken off cars under warranty not to see why they failed, but instead to see why they lasted so long !!
Speaking of gas grills, anyone in the market for a SS-type owes it to themselves to check Sam's Club. Their selection ranges from a smaller 3-burner portable to several "kitchen" types with side cabinets. Their prices are much less than Sears and all the SS grills I've seen at Sears and Sam's Club seem to come out of the same factory. I simply cannot understand how some of those "Barbecue" stores stay in business with their grills costing 3-4 times as much.
Mark

They must have special pricing for contractors at 50-75% off. Or they have customers like my BIL thinking the more expensive the item the better the product must be - he has deep pockets so money is not a factor. I'm surprised there are so many people like that who doesn't even look at the price tag.

Service for one thing. My grill came fully assembled and was delivered right up on my deck. Two guys struggled to get it up the steps as it is quite heavy. Some of those higher priced grills are similar with larger markups, others truly have better and more features. Also depends on whether you want an Escort of a Jaguar. Many variations, sizes, quality levels and models of grills.

Only one grill...
www.kamado.com
Had mine for 6 months and man am i getting FAT!....

It takes more than lava rock to make a good or bad grill. It takes money and engineering and quality materials. Chances are, your neighbor bought a cheapie.
You can buy a grill for $99 or for $9000. If you want one to last you another 20 years and perform well, plant to spend a very minimum of $500, preferably close to $1000 to $1200. Don't buy it at the big discounters, buy a reputable brand from a propane dealer or grill specialty company since they carry the better brands. Weber is the old standby, but Vermont Casting Signature series, MHP (modern Home Products) Broilmaster, Broil King, Napoleon, and a few others are top notch.
Be sure to have a spare tank on hand also.
I have 5 tanks total, all the latest safety upgraded type.
I DONT like running out of gas!
Actually I had 2 tanks one a spare, then saw ones being tossed and picked them up out of neighbors garbage, one was nearly full. at one point I had 6, someone must of stolen it from my shed. it was full. now i put the full ones on the front of the shelf to discourage theft. they must of climbed the 6 foot fence, the yard is securee because of the dogs. dogs probably tried to lick them to death....
People garbage the wierdest things:( the mostly full tank would of been a hazard if it was put in the crushing truck/
One day I took them all in for exchange, they didnt charge extra for the new style valve.so i am all updated.
I also have a propane bullet heater and some other stuff that uses the same type tank.
does anyone make a lava rock type grill today?
i havent seen any in the stores:(
If thinking of buying a STAINLESS GRILL take a magnet!
NON MAGNETIC STAINLESS is much better quality and will last longer.
magnetic stainless will still rust, although slower

since
Casting
I've seen the Vermont Castings at Lowes... Also the Jenn-Air brand... They're pretty good, but I figured that I could design my own and it would be even better since I'm not worried about how much it might weigh during shipping... Yeah, it weighs a ton, but it's not going anywhere...
Grumman-581 wrote:

Hmmm, Most all of them have made in China part(s) in the box. Any how, I got them off my Air Mile catalog. Mid quality ones.

They have a better line sold by other outlets. They are a bit more heavy duty. Used to be made in Canada when I bought mine, but I don't know if they still are.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ..

My experience is the better quality models do better no matter what design or age.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I'd also like to hear an "experts" opinion on steel heat dissipators versus lava rock.
I suspect it will make little difference in taste with only real charcoal having the unequalled taste advantage.
Perhaps the drippings burn differently (at a different rate) on a steel dissipator compared to lava rock, imparting a different flavour.
(Personally I buy a $200.00 barbecue every 4 years or so and use it 2-3 times a week all year. It would take 24 years for a $1200.00 barbeque to equal that payback)

They work as well or better since the plates can heat up faster. Yes, the drippings give off some smoke and impart some flavor.

Suite yourself. It is not cost payback, but convenience, features, quality of the cooking that counts for many of us so we are willing to pay more to get more. Just eliminating all the flareups is worth something. No different than driving a low end Escort or a Caddy to work. They both will get you to work. It's all about choice.
On Mon 24 Apr 2006 07:37:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin Pawlowski?

There are many folks who can manage to pay $200 periodically to replace their grills, but could never afford a $1200 outlay all at once.
--
Wayne Boatwright @@

Flareups come from accumulated grease drippings. If they are vaporized quickly, they will not flare. Lava rock can absorb a lot of grease and then it get going and can take a smoky long time to burn out.
Higher price grills have better heat distribution, better control, infra red rotisserie burners, side burners, heavier grates, and on and on. Making a hot dog for the kids it is a waste, but for fancier cooking, it makes a big difference.
anyone who has attempted to cook dark meat chicken, like a chicken leg will know that its not just accumulated grease dripping.....
chicken leg thigh is near instant flare up