gas fireplace problem

We have a gas fireplace in our livingroom.The pilot light is on but I can't get it to turn on so as to give of heat.I turn on the switch but nothing happens just the pilot light.How do I fix this problem?

Reply to
the-bayman

Hi, Maybe interlock switch problem if it has a fixed glass front.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

turn the gas valve from pilot to on? replace the thermocouple?

Reply to
buffalobill

Try replacing the switch that turns it on. It's a cheap fix before you try anything else. That was my problem a few years ago -- change the switch.

Reply to
Remi

First, you determine what the problem is. Do you have a multi-meter or some way of checking to see if the gas valve is getting power? Next would be a thermocouple that senses if the pilot is on. Many good hardware stores carry replacements and they re fairly cheap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski