Gas Dryer problems

My gas dryer wouldn't ignite, igniter wouldn't even glow, even though the drum would turn. Checked the thermal fuse and it was blown, so I replaced it, yet there wasn't any obstruction anywhere. Started up the dryer and igniter glowed now but no gas came out so I tapped on the coil/valve a few times and the burner lit. I sat there watching and after a while it seemed the burner had been on a while so I again tapped on the coils and the burner went out immediately. Now, I can't get the gas to turn on except for a half a second and only if I tap on the coils when I see the igniter glowing.
I'm thinking that the coils that I replaced 6 months ago went bad again, are now sticky and this forced the burner to stay on too long and that blew the thermal fuse. Anybody concur or think differently?
Whirlpool LGR7646AQ0
Thanks in advance, Craig
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4752 (20100107) __________
http://www.eset.com
Sounds reasonable. Gas valve sticks open, drier overheats. Works for me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
CraigT wrote:

    You might have an open coil on the valve. Measure the resistance of the coil when it fails. Then tap the valve again and see if it momentarily shows resistance. It is pretty common failure for valves to have open coils as the wire is very fine and the solder techniques are sometimes inadequate.

see also: http://fixitnow.com /