Garden wall

I understand in most cities if you build a concrete or masonry wall like a privacy wall along the property line you will need a permit, in Miami here you have to design the footings and wind load etc...and it makes a masonry wall fence cost prohibitive.

I am wondering when is a wall considered a wall? I mean if I lay concrete blocks around the property just 8" tall I don't think it would be considered a wall, but may be a plant border. So at some point, it becomes a "real wall"? I wonder what the threshold is. I am thinking of doing a concrete border may be 16" tall (two 8" blocks) I wonder if I need a structural footing for that...looking for an effect like this:

of course, the blocks would have stucco applied and painted.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Those pics look like walls. Your town could have the code on their website how high a wall is considered.

Reply to
Lisa BB.

You will have to ask the Building Department. Codes I have seen specify max height, not min. TB

Reply to
tbasc

depends on the jurisdiction

IMO the first "wall" is not a wall & the second one is borderline

I think in most towns taller than 3' is a wall, shorter is not a wall

with respect to codes....there is an intent behind the code, that is, what the code is really trying to accomplish

the chances of 3' or shorter falling over or blowing over are pretty small.....plus the consequences of failed 3' wall are much less severe than the failure of a 6' or 8' wall.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207