Garden tractor battery

I got my first garden tractor (riding mower) in the late summer of 02. By the first time I wanted to use it this year, the battery was dead. The best battery I could find was a two year battery. In contrast, I have an 8 year battery in my car.

Why do garden tractor batteries die sooner?

Does the garden tractor recharge the battery?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Tractor batteries sit outside all year, and typically are not charged for 6 consecutive months (depending on location); this is tough on them and shortens the life. Car batteries normally last about 3-1/2 years - the difference in battery warranty periods is usually one of pricing and return policy, and not so much anything different about the battery itself.

-- Tom

Reply to
TOM

Would it be worth it to charge them once a month while not in use?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

in the summer you are using it during the winter you should take the battery out and put in someplace where it does not get too cold and probably give it a good charge when you winterize it then once a month throw a the trickle charger on it! I think the big thing is weak electrolyte and cold weather do the battery in! As well as vibration from the mower

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Disconecting it and keeping it charged in winter is most important batteries sulfate fast below 75% charge.

Reply to
m Ransley

Get one of those "battery maintainer" chargers from Harbor Freight, they're perfect for maintaining the battery in the off-season.

Reply to
rj

Beats me but they do. Mine is used all year (Florida) and 18 months is about the max life. Consequently, I buy inexpensive ones at auto stores.

Yes (while it is running).

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Vibration is a big killer of batteries, I used to off road alot and never got more than 2 years on a Blazer. Optima Spiral cell last but are expensive and probadly not sized or worth it for a tractor. But keeping full charge is most important, Also dirty batteries will conduct and drain a battery in 4 months, keep it clean.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks, I didn't know that. It stays in my garage, where it doesn't get below freezing. But it is easy enough to take out.

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Thanks for all of the information, guys!

Reply to
Jud McCranie

The garden tractor batteries I looked at had various CCA numbers. Is that Cold Cranking Amps?

Reply to
Jud McCranie

Eh? Cold *idle storage* minimizes the aging chemistry. Assuming you keep it charged.

Perhaps you confuse the stress of using a cold battery to crank a cold engine.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The electrical power usage for the slightly extend life costs more than a new battery.

You need a top-up charger that isn't left on all the time.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

My float charger pulls 5 watts on charge for a small tractor battery 3 watts on standby 5 watts is apx 0.50 c a month at 0.12kwh thats 2.5 $ per winter max, Cheaper than a new battery. Leave it in the tractor, and clean it good it will be ready in spring. It is very easy to measure voltage loss with a dirty battery constantly leaking current.

Reply to
m Ransley

I completely disagree. I just replaced the battery for the first time this year in my Murray riding mower. The mower is a 1995 model. Last summer I noticed the battery was getting weak, but a few charges and it lasted till this spring. That's 8 years from that battery. Yes, there is an alternator (of sorts) in riding mowers, and it charges the battery. If it didn't, you'd be charging the mower battery all the time. The alternator is a coil next to the flywheel, and there are magnets built into the flywheel to produce the charge.

Reply to
spamfree

I've never seen one less than twice that.

Remember, you run it for many seasons to extend the end life 1 or 2 years.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well rich I have my kill a watt meter on it now its reading 4 watts.

Reply to
m Ransley

At .50 c a month for 6 mo in winter 2.5$ a year. Or 15$ for 6 yrs that wil pay for itself several times over in 6 yrs. Not to mention the time and agravation lost.

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe you should try one from John Deere. Mine is going strong after 6 years.

Reply to
davefr

It would be good to bring the battery indoors, for example a warm cellar. Set it on a wood shelf, and plug in a "float charger" once a month or so.

A battery which is discharged will freeze easier. One freeze, and a battery is dead.

Supposedly they fixed that bit about "if you store a vehicle battery on a cement floor, it will go dead" but why take chances?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon