Garden tractor battery

Page 1 of 2
I got my first garden tractor (riding mower) in the late summer of 02. By the first time I wanted to use it this year, the battery was dead. The best battery I could find was a two year battery. In contrast, I have an 8 year battery in my car.
Why do garden tractor batteries die sooner?
Does the garden tractor recharge the battery?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Tractor batteries sit outside all year, and typically are not charged for 6 consecutive months (depending on location); this is tough on them and shortens the life. Car batteries normally last about 3-1/2 years - the difference in battery warranty periods is usually one of pricing and return policy, and not so much anything different about the battery itself.
-- Tom

Would it be worth it to charge them once a month while not in use?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

in the summer you are using it during the winter you should take the battery out and put in someplace where it does not get too cold and probably give it a good charge when you winterize it then once a month throw a the trickle charger on it! I think the big thing is weak electrolyte and cold weather do the battery in! As well as vibration from the mower
Wayne

Disconecting it and keeping it charged in winter is most important batteries sulfate fast below 75% charge.

Thanks, I didn't know that. It stays in my garage, where it doesn't get below freezing. But it is easy enough to take out.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:37:29 -0400, Jud McCranie

Do yourself a favor and get a battery -minder or battery-tender. They charge the battery and once it is full they keep them topped off, fully automatic. You don't have to keep an eye on it to see if they are full yet. They can stay hooked up unlimited time. Check out www.batterymart.com for these products. Batteries plus has them too I Think. They also come with quick connect cords/plugs so you dont' even have to take the battery out of the tractor.
Wayne writes:

Eh? Cold *idle storage* minimizes the aging chemistry. Assuming you keep it charged.
Perhaps you confuse the stress of using a cold battery to crank a cold engine.
I typed my reply before reading yours. Honest!
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The garden tractor batteries I looked at had various CCA numbers. Is that Cold Cranking Amps?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Get one of those "battery maintainer" chargers from Harbor Freight, they're perfect for maintaining the battery in the off-season.

rj writes:

The electrical power usage for the slightly extend life costs more than a new battery.
You need a top-up charger that isn't left on all the time.
My float charger pulls 5 watts on charge for a small tractor battery 3 watts on standby 5 watts is apx 0.50 c a month at 0.12kwh thats 2.5 $ per winter max, Cheaper than a new battery. Leave it in the tractor, and clean it good it will be ready in spring. It is very easy to measure voltage loss with a dirty battery constantly leaking current.
m Ransley writes:

I've never seen one less than twice that.
Remember, you run it for many seasons to extend the end life 1 or 2 years.
Well rich I have my kill a watt meter on it now its reading 4 watts.
At .50 c a month for 6 mo in winter 2.5$ a year. Or 15$ for 6 yrs that wil pay for itself several times over in 6 yrs. Not to mention the time and agravation lost.
Jud McCranie wrote:

Beats me but they do. Mine is used all year (Florida) and 18 months is about the max life. Consequently, I buy inexpensive ones at auto stores.

Yes (while it is running).
Vibration is a big killer of batteries, I used to off road alot and never got more than 2 years on a Blazer. Optima Spiral cell last but are expensive and probadly not sized or worth it for a tractor. But keeping full charge is most important, Also dirty batteries will conduct and drain a battery in 4 months, keep it clean.