Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

Page 2 of 3
on 5/10/2009 3:01 PM (ET) James wrote the following:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200218424_200218424 You need a polyurethane hose that can handle gasoline or oil. Available at the big box stores in cut-to-length rolls.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200218424_200218424
not sure if I could roll up a pvc line for storage when I am not using it...
the advice of a polyurathane hose is good, but I think 50 feet will be quite expensive
James
On 5/10/2009 2:17 PM James spake thus:

So what is the inside of ordinary garden hose made of? Sheesh, I'll bet that whatever it is, it's plenty resistant to petroleum products such as what you're pumping (despite the possibility that it's "not approved" for such use).
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

You could always try getting a sample piece of hose and soaking in kerosine for a couple of days to see if it swells, dissolves or degrades.
On Sun, 10 May 2009 16:44:28 -0700 (PDT), Frank

Or a cheap one. What do commerical grade water hoses have that cheap grade don't?

Good idea.
It might work. Hose is rather special stuff, and plastics/rubber can swell and fail very quickly in petroleum service. I think there is a good reason a proper hose costs a bit of money..for the required materials. I'd recommend getting hose certified for your service.
If you choose water hose then please let us know what happens
EJ in NJ
James wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200218424_200218424

It would help to know what the hose is made of. The pictured black hose may be made of nitrile rubber. If so it has excellent chemical compatibility to kerosene.
First of all, how much fuel, how often? Are a couple of trips with a 5 gallon can realistic or are we talking hundreds/thousands of gallons?
Next, is there any possibility of getting the trailer closer?
If all else fails, you could buy fuel line from an auto store for $1-2 a foot, and I'd bet you could probably order it for a bit less.
75 gallons, twice a year. Can't drive a car down the mountain side to the tank. Can get within 50 feet.
I thank everyone for their comments. I plan to try the garden hose, and monitor its condition from year to year, and always monitor when I am pumping , to assure there are no leaks, etc. I am in a remote place in the mountains, and most inspectors could not find their way home if they ever got to this place. Hee hee
Thanks again everyone.
james
A couple thoughts come to mind. First, you don't want to collapse the hose, and cut off your siphon action. I'd suggest to build a tube out of PVC, and a couple elbows on top, so that the garden hose doesn't have to go around a corner. So the hose doesn't collapse flat. Make a "shephards crook". You can adapt PVC to pipe thread with plastic adaptors, and then to garden hose thread. Stick the crook / cane tube into your tank. Use a shop vac or something similar to start the siphon action.
I don't really know for sure. But maybe you can use a shop vac to blow some air through the garden hose. Dry it out when you're done. So the kerosene isn't in there, softening the rubber in betweeen times.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

hose may be made of EPDM rubber. If so it not recommended to use with kerosene.
James wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200218424_200218424
It's interesting to contemplate why someone would even ask this question.
Why ?
----------------------
It's interesting to contemplate why someone would even ask this question.
James wrote:

pump and a hose on a hose reel all designed to dispense liquid fuels into your tank.
on 5/12/2009 7:33 AM (ET) George wrote the following:

Then you have to pay for delivery. It's cheaper to go get it yourself.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

pump and a hose on a hose reel all designed to dispense liquid fuels into your tank.
I have been following this thread and would like to wade in. I had been working with equipment proffesionally installed, with rubber hoses approved for the fluid in use, when after the years the hoses broke down shedding pieces. In this case the chunks destroyed about a million dolars of calibration equipment. Amazin how hard it is to find about a hundred small rubber chunks in a room size machine. I would suggest checking the hose before and after use, and soaking then scraping some small section to make sure than it is still sound. So do you have a mechanical filter in place in the line? I will assume a jet clog of other clog will not be trivial to fix.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200218424_200218424