Garbage disposer too noisy with stainless steel sink?

I've read that the combination of garbage disposer and stainless steel sink is likely to be too noisy. But I've also seen SS sinks with a sound-deadening coating on the underside; does that make much difference? Do some disposers work better with SS sinks?
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

How long are you going to run it For each time you use it, anyway?
My own preference is to use the disposer for getting rid of small scraps of food washed off plates and cookware, and not as a general "garbage can", thus our disposal is usually run for a few seconds at a time.
Ours is installed in an "uninsulated" single stainless steel sink, and I've really never found its noise unbearable. Plus, I bet the water flowing over the bottom of the sink helps damp vibrations.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I don't know, but since the disposal runs about two minutes a day, I'm not going to do any noise comparisons or change my mind about what I want. Get a good model of InSinkErator or Kitchen Aid and move on.

Our disposal was pretty noisy on our stainless sink, but that didn't stop us from using it. It doesn't run that often or that long. But when I got around to it, I stuck some automotive sound-deadening sheet under the sink, and now it's much quieter.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:22:29 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

My disposal is much quieter since I started composting.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

not ding up so easily. Quieter when you place stuff in them, quieter when you run the water. Yes, you can tell the difference. lower gage number means thicker walls. 18g is thinker than 20g which is thicker than 23g.
Also, better disposers are quieter too.
You get what you pay for.