Garbage disposal mold/mildew odor

Anyone have a great way to fix a moldy garbage disposal? A while back we put cantaloupe inerds down the disposal. Since that time I've read that you should never put any stringy vegetables into a disposal. And, since that time we have had a horrible moldy smell in the disposal. We can make it go away for a few days by pouring a bottle of bleach down the disposal while it is running, but the smell always returns within a week. I am about ready to just replace the disposal, but if anyone has a cheap solution I would love to know it.
Joe Meyer
Baking soda will neutralize most veggie or fruit odors. Give it a shot before you dump the disposal. I would recommend that if this is a two compartment sink - pour some in both sides. Whether you have seperate traps or a continuous waste - it will help with the odor. I'd dissolve the soda in some water - don't just pour it straight into the unit and allow it to stay overnight before flushing it down.
Jim Mc Namara

I just purchased a disposal. For smells the directions said to put something in there, I forget. I can check tonight and post in the morning. I believe it was something hard like ice or something.

I poured a 20 lb bag of mortar mix in mine no more smell
awe it's just the cat shittin in the sink. kinda goes along withe spray-pissn on the walls they do. aint pussy grand? you'll get used to it.
Try replacing the rubber back-splash ring ($3-$5). One time I was getting an awful sewer like smell from the sink. Turned out to be muck build up on the surfaces of the rubber. Cleaning did not help for very long as the smell would come back after a day or 2.
Kevin

mine smelled bad all the time till I got a garbage co to take out my trash .What a difference I think It was those diapers and duck poop

Hi,
Food waste disposal you mean?...not really meant for garbage.
http://www.applianceaid.com/food.html#smell Some tips and suggestions.
jeff.
Appliance Repai Aid http://www.applianceaid.com /
Your gonna think it crazy, but turn it on, and start loading it with ice. Fill that sucker till its full of ice and throw a little water in there to get a slurry going... Works like a champ...

You could try running lemon wedges down the disposal or baking soda and vinegar. If that doesn't work then disconnect it and clean out all of the left over vegetable matter. I don't think that you need to buy a whole new one. My disposal also smelled pretty bad for about a week once. I think that everything just decomposed and eventually flushed out.
-Diana