Garage door stuck

Whenever the weather is cold, my garage door gets stuck when it's opened about six inches. I have to help it along by pulling it up when it reaches the six inch point. I have oiled and WD40'd the central track that actually pulls the garage and although this seems to help once, I'm back to the same thing again the next day.

Also, it doesn't have to be very cold. If I get up and the temperature is

40 degrees, I'll get the same problem.

Andy ideas on what to do about this or what's causing it?

Thanks!

Reply to
D'Olier

Hi, Spring? Cecked proper tension? With opener disengaged, it should go up or down with minimal force. (like one finger push). Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

At my Mother's house, we are having this problem, too.

I oiled and everything. Then I discovered that the tracks are out of alignment. Measuring diagonally from front to back should be equal distances, but they are off by about 5". The door stops about 2 feet up in the cold winter months. It can be opened manually - sometimes - but it's a real pain...

Reply to
Gizmofiddler

Disconnect the opener and open and close it manually. It should stay fully open, fully closed and it should be balanced about half way up and move smoothly all the way. My guess is the springs have stretched over the years and now need adjusting. If you don't have the the installation manual, get a pro in to take care of it. If you have the manual read it carefully and pay attention to the warnings.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Thanks for pointing that out. Look at what them lying bastards wrote on the WD-40 web page.

With literally thousands of uses, WD-40 is the #1 multi-purpose problem solver. It cleans, protects, penetrates, lubricates and displaces moisture like no other product on earth.

begin 666 registration_home.gif M1TE&.#EA!P`*`*(``%U

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yea, they call it a lubricant. It is, but it is a very poor lubricant for most uses. It is more of a solvent. For the use in question it is worthless as a lubricant, but it does make a good solvent and cleaner.

BTW NEVER NEVER use that stuff in a lock. It will in time just gum up the works really bad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

After lubing with oil and checking movement disconected from opener and adjusting if necessary there are up-down force adjustments on the motor that may neeed adjusting. Disconected from the opener the door should open and close with equal force

Reply to
m Ransley

You are correct sir!

I've taken enough fans apart and oiled to know that wd-40 is the poorest of all lubricants. I now follow it up with an oil and a lubriplate paste to get real staying power.

Reply to
PJx

Is it a screw drive opener? If so the wrong grease may have been used that thickens when it gets cold. If so the screw needs to be flushed w/ oil & regreased with the proper type. Lubriplate Low Temp is what is normally recommended.

If it's a chain drive or belt drive the bottom of the rail should be greased lightly the full length of the rail.

Of course this in addition to making sure the door works properly by hand as many others has mentioned.

Doordoc

Doordoc

if you want a spray on lubricant, i swear by tri-flo. works in locks too!!

randy

Reply to
xrongor