Garage door seal

Bunk. You cannot remove panels from a sectional door without unwinding the torsion springs. I defy you to find any such technique in Clopay's library of installation manuals:

Richard J Kinch

1000's of pounds? Gosh will you make up your mind

I asked:

one edge of the garage door attached to the other side of the >pulley.

To which you replied:

The fact the system may contain more force, is kind of moot to the risk of what I suggested. The only force that would be in play is the force of the cable pulling up and the weight of the door pulling down. I know I could keep those forces in check and fix the gasket.

I fully agree that you did the spring change the right way. The original question was about how to change the stinking gasket. I am not convinced that what I had suggested would have been something that a reasonably mechanicly adept person would have a trouble with, but you do. Let's agree to disagree.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

You've obviously never been centrally involved installing a door like that or you would realize it.

And you sir, are obviously very wrong. Removing the two lower wheels of the lowest section has no effect on the weight of the door or the weight/spring dynamics. All it does it let the lower section swing inward, and if the door is blocked up (probably by putting a clamp under the wheel(s) of the next section higher, absolutely nothing will happen. It won't even swing inward until you force it to. This has nothing to do with installing a door. All the op is trying to do is replace the rubber strip on the bottom.

Centrally involved in door installation? Nope never been centrally involved, but I do maintain my wood door (much heavier than a metal door) including tightening the springs and all the brackets, wheels, and guides. Installing a replacement door is quite straight forward.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

An interesting site, I'll have to look at a manual some time.

But why are you arguing against Pop, he is on your side. Or is this supposed to be for me and you didn't put it in the thread correctly?

Well, let's assume that you are arguing against what I said. First, no one said anything about removing a panel. It was removing two wheels.

I just went out and looked at my door again, and suffice it to say I did make an error. The cable is hooked to the bottom of the lowest panel so that the safest way would be to raise the door all the way to the top where there is very little tension and then unhook the wheels and pull the bottom panel down, probably requiring 25 pound of pull with a well balance door.

On the other hand, your statement is incorrect. If you need to replace any panel except the bottom panel, there is no need to release the spring tension. You can even replace a single middle panel. All you do is just clamp the bottom panel in place. The spring doesn't know why it can move further (gravity or a polar bear pulling on it). And I don't care what Clopay says. You don't really thing auto mechanics follow all the procedures outlined by the manufacturer for changing parts do you?

Ok. Strike one--You don't really understand how mechanical things work. Strike two--You mix up what other people say. Strike three -- You think that there is only one way to do something. Strike four-- You can't respond correctly in the thread.

I really find it hard to believe that you are a Ph.D.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hey, I just did read it. I skimmed it quickly but thought it was pedantic, although he might have some good theoretical info. What caught my attention and gave me the willies was the picture of a 12 point ratchet wrench on a square head set screw. After another quick look, I see that earlier in the article he has a monologue about picking a wrench and finally selected an open end wrench for this screw. That tells me he doesn't use tools much as any non-novice would immediately have picked an open end wrench (or even a Crescent wrench).

But why does he show the 12 point ratchet being used after he goes through the mess about picking a wrench?

Enough critique since I'm not getting paid for this.

Oh, the ladder doesn't bother me, but he should have had it against the front wall based on the direction of force needed to wind the spring.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

In this case, "Ph.D" stands for "Piled Higher & Deeper". Kinch also believes that drinking large quantities of WD-40 is a harmless pastime. If the rest of the world says "down", you can always count on Kinch to insist on "up".

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

Ft-lbs, not pounds. This is not your subject.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Big mistake as I've already explained. Those with intelligence and critical faculties can review it if need be. Your mind is made up,

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Not clear who he was addressing. I may have misunderstood him.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well, who cares. There should be no reason to do anything with the springs just to change the bottom seal. But if there is just rip it off and nail on a new one. Forget the metal thing that the rubber slide in. Anyway, I think the OP quit and went home.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon