Garage door opens on own in cold weather

I have Mac Lift Merlin Series that opens on it's own, especially during the night. It is used on a one car door size. The larger 2 door model instaledd in the next bay never has this problem. This has only been a problem during below freezing temps. Thanks, Tom

Reply to
mcq142

Hi mcq142,

I do not trust those garage door opener. The unit is always on and to rely on the control ckts to keep it from opening by itself (100%) without anyone pushing the button is scary. I had the same problem with other garage door openers.

  1. you can try reprogramming the remotes. Who knows when you were reprogramming them a neighbor could have been pushing his remote too.

It will be nice if the power outlet where garage opener is plugged in can be turned off completely. So, in my case,

My garage door opener has a remote power on/off. I bought a remote control switch 19$Can at walmart, I use it for turning on/off power to the garage opener. I made sure I have a light outside that is on when the garage door opener is powered on. At night I 'turn off' power to the garage door opener. Also when I go out for a long time.

Yes I use 2 remotes. One to turn on garage door power, then another to open the garage door... A little bit incovenient... but the peace of mind is worth it.

I'm not sure if it will cause problem to the garage door > I have Mac Lift Merlin Series that opens on it's own, especially during

Reply to
Skyhawk

Does the model have a lock mechanism? My Genie model allows me to flip a switch and it cannot be opened.

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
Art Todesco

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the pressure type limit switches only reversed the door when it was on it's way down - i.e. the motor had to be operating at the time it hit an obstruction.

It would seem to me that if a ground swell could > Check the limits. The closed limit is

Reply to
DerbyDad03

To me I would think that it would be an overly sensitive door if it responds to an expanding slab of concrete. I don't think the concrete would expand /that/ much.

Reply to
Brian

I assume the door opener has wireless remote control capabilities. If so there is a nearby interfering signal and/or an over sensitivity in the receiver that responds to a natural or man made induced voltage.

To check this out temporarily remove the antenna or short it to ground and see if your problem still occurs.

Reply to
tnom