Garage door opener problem

Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my garage door opener. I push the button to close the door, it goes about a foot then reverses. Normally I'd say something was in the way (breaking the light beam) **But** if i hit the button again at the time its just about to reverse which will get it to stop before it reverses, then hit the button again it will close normally. The light beam thing seems lined up quite well and its lenses are clean so I'm 99% sure its not the problem. What else could be wrong with the thing? Thanks Eric
Eric wrote:

Already checked the tracks to see anything binding by disenganging the opener? Light beam emitter/sensor might be out oif alignment, dusty or stray light is interfering.
Not sure if this is comparable but I had a problem with mine where sometimes it would close and sometimes it would get almost all down and then reopen. The person who installed it had mounted the light sending/receiving units on the tracks themselves. The movement of the tracks threw the light off sometimes, which caused the erratic behavior.
Had another company come out and they mounted the light things on the wall with brackets, it works like a charm now.
First thing to do is disconnect the door from the opener and verify that it moves smoothly and easily through full range of motion. The door should be balanced so that it only takes a moderate amount of effort and the door should pretty much stay in any position if you let it go.
If that's all good, then it's possible the down force limit is set too low and needs to be adjusted.