Garage Apartment Plans/Ideas?

Hi, I have a separate garage with an unfinished upstairs. Its a pretty large garage, a big 2 car with a single "attached" for my tractor, etc. The apartment has a large main room and a nice "cape" style side room. I would like to make it into a studio or possible one bedroom apartment. Does anyone know of online plans? I've found plans for garages with apartments but they are very specific to each garage. Maybe just some sites with pics or ideas? I'm just trying to use the space the best way possible. Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Guay

Before you expend time, money, and effort on worrying about layout and interior design, first 3 steps are to make sure the basic structure there meets local code for living space (floor strength, fire breaks, egress requirements, that sort of thing), that there is a practical way to get utilities (plumbing and HVAC) up there, and that local zoning and the covenants for your neighborhood or subdivision (if they exist), allow for rental units and/or 'granny flats', aka 'mother in law' apartments. For example, on the egress, most of the areas I am familiar with require an exterior stairway, and most areas require a full fire break between the garage area and the living space.

If none of that is an issue, like you said, it is a site specific thing. If you don't have the expertise yourself, spend the money for a site survey by a residential designer or architect. A good one will have the expertise to answer the engineering questions, and have a grasp for what is needed to make a livable space that someone would actually be willing to pay rent on. Even if this is for guest or family use, think about who you envision sleeping up there- will they be willing/able to deal with stairs, especially in bad weather? If they are older, how about in five or ten years? A glorified tree house for a boomerang adult child to use for a couple of years is one thing, a safe place for a mother-in-law is something else entirely.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

While all those are good caveats, I don&#39;t think you necessarily need an architect/engineer to desing the place, unless your municipality requires stamped drawings.

Find a website on which to stick measured drawings and a couple photographs each of the inside and outside, along with an order-of-magnitude guess as to how much money you&#39;ve got to spend. (Raising the roof is going to cost a bit more than adding a skylight...) and then ask again.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn