ganged 3 wire install and switch?

My mother wants me to install a dimmer switch in her kitchen. The apartment specifies it must be "ganged 3 wire install and switch".

What the heck does that mean?

I suppose 3 wire is hot-neutral-ground, but why specify ganged?

Reply to
toller
3-wire would normally refer to 14/3 or 12/3 cable. The ground wire is not counted, so you have black, white, and red wires. I'm wondering if this is a 3-way switch, which would require special 3-way dimmer switches.

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias