Fuzz

I just tapped in to a cable socket in the wall. This comes off another cable socket on the other side of the wall that provides signal to that TV, and that TV works fine. But the TV on this side has "fuzz", or "snow". I changed the screw-on coax cable, but that didn't help, so I don't think it's the coax.
How do I test what is wrong with this? I get picture and sound, just fuzz and snow.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Remove the splitter and just run the wire directly to the problem TV. Does it still have a problem? It could be that the TV in question is less sensitive, and needs a stronger signal. An amplifier/splitter could solve that problem.
Are you watching analog signals? I wouldn't expect snow with digital signals.
On 1/12/2013 12:27 PM, Bob F wrote: ...

Don't know what causes it but on our OTA digital on occasion it is what is only describable as "snowy" -- it isn't quite the same as the analog w/ ghosting, etc., but just fuzzy and washed-out looking.
Generally the low signal will simply cause dropouts or a full loss altho it can also be that there's decent-enough video but the audio track has so much breakup as to have to mute it for the annoyance factor.
Needless to say, they didn't do us any favors in remote areas w/ the digital transition... :(

Where do the signals come from? Is there a splitter somewhere in the wall between the two outlets? Have you tried the poor tv on the other cable outlet, it might be the cable or it might be the tv! Have you removed the cover plate to see what is in the wall? Lots for you to do and tell us what happens.

screw on connectors dont work as well as the crimp on type.....
might well be a poor connection somehere.
try loosening then tightening all connectors

Some possibilities of the cable between the sockets: 1. Cables need a good ground coverage by the outer shield and connected at both ends. 2. Cables can have 1, 2, or 4 layers of ground coverage. 1 is poor and 4 (quad) is great. 3. Cables need to be run a minimum of 8" from any electrical wires to prevent AC interference.