Furnace temperature rise

I had a new 70,000 BTU Rheem furnace installed in my house. The airflow from the registers is rather noisy: You can hear the air rushing through the registers, not exactly whisper-quiet!

The temperature differential between return duct and heat register is 30 degrees (from 70F to 98F). Is this a normal differential or can the fan speed be reduced, resulting in a higher temperature at he registers?

Thanks

Reply to
Walter R.

So what did your installer say?

Reply to
m Ransley

This isn't alt.hvac. If you don't have something that will be of help crawl back to your snake pit where your buddies appreciate moronic replies. MLD

Reply to
MLD

there are to many variables that are not stated in your post to even attempt a answer.

Reply to
SQLit

That is a rather low temperature rise for a gas furnace. I would suggest dropping the blower speed one tap. I would normally expect to see between 40 and 60 degrees temperature rise with a gas furnace. See if the installer can do that for you.

BTW, the fan switch on the thermostat should be set to AUTO. If the switch is set to ON, you would be running at air conditioning speed. But the grilles should still not be that noisy.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I must have that guy killfiled, but he has a point. The OP may want to call the installer and explained what it is doing and express his concerns.

You never know: If HE attemps to change the fan speeds, he could possibly void the warranty.

Just a thought....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Actually there mr Dildo MLD Ransley gave perfect advice. The OP said it was JUST installed and with the info he gave (if its correct) I can tell you infact that it is NOT setup properly. They need to get out there and set it up right. The OP doesnt need to be messing with it and shouldnt be messing with it. He just paid for it and paid for it to be installed properly. You may now go crawl under the tunnel of your muddy rock. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

When I had that same concern on my new unit I called the installer, I know just enough to understand there is a safe operating output temp and setting fan to low could be bad, and I dont know the safe limits. Also with wired taps I did not want to make a mistake that could ruin a board. So again I say talk to the installer first why risk ruining a unit under warranty or doing something stupid that you are not familar with. Installers have training and know their equipment and your house, you don`t.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thank you, all.

The installer says that the fan speed in this dual-stage system is set by the factory and cannot be lowered. It's a Rheem 80% 2-stage Criterion Two+, Model RGPK 70.

The installation manual is of limited value.Wonder where I can find a maintenance manual. (The old tinkerer in me).

Maybe I can reduce the air speed by using a heavy duty air filter.

Reply to
Walter R.

although you might reduce the speed of the air flowing thru the heat exchanger (and consequently increase the temperature differential), you might at the same time adversely affect the amperage draw on the motor.

Reply to
Mark Schofield

I think you should call rheem , Im no pro but I thought a 2 stage had 2 fan speeds and different taps for different needs, but someone here will know.

Reply to
m Ransley

All furnaces come wired at a default speed and yes they can be changed. The default speed is based on an assumed external static pressure of .5" WC. If your system pressure is lower, then you could be moving an excess amount of air. The only way this could not be lowered is if the unit is shipped with the heating at the lowest fan speed. If this is the case, an after market accessory, such as a variable speed drive, could improve the unit's performance. For more info on drives e-mail me for info at cowlesandco at hotmail dot com

Reply to
TAB Dude

The model # will be helpful. By the way, I dont think you should have gone with the cheapest installer you could find. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The installer says that the fan speed in this dual-stage system is set by

Sounds like BS to me. A pleated filter would lower air flow 10 to 20 percent. Try that. The fan speed IS set by the factory. It may already be set to the lowest speed tap, but probvably not. Most likely your installer is looking for an easy way out. Did he actually MEASURE the air flow when he installed the system? He should have.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

You dumbshit! How do you know the rest of the system is set up properly? What is the gas pressure? What about the orifices? What about the venting? What about the duct work?

Something is obviously wrong here, and the homeowner shouldn't have to be changing settings on his brand new furnace. He should call the installer and get it checked out and set up properly.

You sound like a real kunt.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

This is Turtle.

1] that model has 4 speed taps to choose from.

2] Try the restrictive filter to see and check the Heat rise. you need like others here have said 40 to 60 degrees F Heat Rise. Now i like 40 degrees F heat rise.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You have a point, many things to consider--but your response is still typical of the snake pit at alt.hvac. Just one question--between your hat size, your shoe size or your IQ---which one is bigger?

Reply to
MLD

At least he didnt give the hack reply to put in a restrictive air filter.... Since no one here knows the condition of the ductwork, and we can all assume that the installer just went and slapped in a furnace and didnt redo any duct, sure...lets half ass the air flow and since the OP prob has no clue how to check and adjust the gas valve, yay...lets create a possible senario that could...and thats COULD ruin a new installation.

Reply to
CBHVAC

You're right--no fault in trying to give a proper response to someone's request for information or help. Every field, no matter what, requires expertise, experience and common sense. What you have over in alt.hvac is a bunch of buffoons who relish every opportunity to dump on anyone who enters looking for some info or help. It's so bad there, you're even dumping all over yourselves. Don't start bringing that trash mouthing here. HVAC is a specialty and there are things that you know that the average owner doesn't---however, it's not rocket science, lots of people can read a schematic, understand a wiring diagram and can up to a point, do their own troubleshooting. I also recognize that there are situations that are too dangerous to give advice, that doing the wrong thing can ruin an installation, if so, say so--have no fear, no one is going to take over your job, give a little respect if you want respect. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I don't know, but my dick fits pretty good in your mouth.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives