Furnace help

Hi Group
I've just moved into a new home that was fitted with a (circa 1982) Gaffers & Sattler / Magic Chef forced air heating system (model # AC13-U80-5!!).
Like all new homeowners, I'm strapped for cash, which means I'd like to find the most economic solution to my problem!
Now, I've never had a forced warm air heating system before, so I'm not too sure what to expect, so please bear with me if my questions are a bit dumb! I'm trying to figure what isn't working! There is some room heating occurring, but it doesn't seem to 'right'. BTW There is no air con unit involved!!
We live in Southern California and so the situation I'm describing is late at night / in the early-mid morning when temperatures outside are lower.
1) With the thermostat set to 85degF, the room temperature (as measured by the thermostat, and another thermometer) is on 65degF and the furnace is only lit and / or blowing every few minutes. My wife and I have resorted to cuddling to keep warm. :)
I assume that the thermostat is shot - do you agree?
2) a) I hear the furnace light up, but the blower doesn't come on; b) Then one of two things seem to happen: i) The blower comes on and we get some warm air; then the furnace goes out; OR ii) The furnace goes out; then the blower comes on c) The blower continues and we get cool air; d) The blower stops.
When the cycle is (a,bi,c,d) we get some heating, but the cool air at stage c is annoying but tolerable. When the cycle is (a,bii,c,d) there seems no point to it at all other than wasting energy! It's worthy of note that very often after the blower stops at stage (d) the cycle starts again at (a).
Help! I've no idea what is going on here ... is this normal?
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Den

Gaffers
find
too
dumb!
furnace
stage
very
This is Turtle.
You seem to have a problem with the Fan / Limit Control. It could be anything else for I can't see it from here. To change it may be a problem without any electrical skills.
Now if it is the Fan / Limit control you can by-pass it by just turning on the thermostat fan control to on and from automatic. Just make the fan run all the time by way of the thermostat and it will work fine by by-passing the fan / limit control . Run the fan anytime you want heat , then when you can afford it get it fixed.
TURTLE
Hey Turtle
Thanks for the advice, I'll do some investigation.
Cheers

late
by
resorted
no
you
replying to TURTLE, Mr Coldman wrote:

Turtle, did as you said and turned on "Fan" worked like a charm. Thanks

Gaffers
find
too
dumb!
You would be assuming wrong.

furnace
stage
very
Depends on where you are in SouthenCA...in in the Coechella Valley area, I know of a couple that can help you out for less than you would expect.

CBhvac
Thanks for the comments. Can you elucidate ... you disagree with my comments about the thermostat ... why, what is it that your people that you know might me able to help me with?
Cheers
message

late
by
resorted
no
"Den Murray" snipped-for-privacy@nul.nul wrote in message 3pvTb.351$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc02.gnilink.net

Den, are you the type of guy who replaces the wall switch when the light in the room no longer works?
nine chances out of ten says its the fan limit switch, something you know absolutely nothing about. bite the bullet and call a service tech. be sure you get a service tech and not a sales tech.
i too live in so cal and could easily fix your furnace, but you cant afford me.