Furnace double cycling

The furnace seems to be on a "double" cycle such that it runs for a while, turns off, then turns back on for a briefer cycle, after which it will go off for a while.
The thermostat is in a room that is, alas, unfinished and a bit drafty, thus cooler; there is a nearby register but it doesn't directly hit the thermostat.
Is this a matter of thermostat sensitivity? It seems to me that it isn't good to have the furnace kick on twice (or more) as often as it needs to. The furnace itself is fairly new and annually inspected by the power company.

This is Turtle.
First Dan , What type system do you have , heat pump, Gas / propane furnace, Straight electric heat, Base Board heaters, or what ever ? What is it or what type system is it ?
Then How old is the system in months or years ?
Has it been running good a week ago or really run good since you had it put in ?
What is the Model and serial number of the furnace and condenser and also what brand is it?
And here is the question I've got to ask. Did you change the thermostat or work on it lately in any way ?
You will have to answer the above to get a good reply but if you want guesses , well There will be some good guessing going on with out what the system is and what type.
TURTLE
My guess is that you have a forced hot air system and the thermostat controlling the fan is set to too high a temperature. The fan turns off before the furnace has been cooled sufficiently. After the fan cools off the temperature at the location being sensed rises slightly as residual heat flows through the structure and the fan turns on again. It runs for a short time removing more heat and then shuts off again, but his time stays off until you living space thermostat calls for heat. The adjustment is easily made at the fan limit control.
RB
Dan Hartung wrote:

Me too.
Walt Conner
I have had this happen on our old forced air furnace if the filter was too dirty.
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:04:59 -0600, Dan Hartung

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn /