Furnace Buying Opinion

Hello, I've been researching furnance for house in the midwest, about 1700SQF.

I am currently running a trane which i think is a 30+yrs old.

I had one estimate so for, wanted to learn if it was a good price.

The estimate is for comple install for a Lennox G61MPV-36B-070 Gas Furnace and AC 13ACC 3.0 Ton Air 13 SEER. $4500 is that a good price ?

are those models good ? He said he will also include a electric air filter for $395 if i sign by end of the month.

Any recomendations for other models ? I was looking around and see most

of the high efficeincey products from various vendors got good reviews.

I would appreciate any advice as this is a major investment for me and a small fortune.

Best Regards,

Reply to
ezxcvbnm

Don't pick the furnace, pick the installer. Get more than one estimate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes but I would not pick an intaller that picks Goodman or Janitrol, or pushes an 80%er unless it was south like Fla, you need to learn your options as there are so many these days, Gone is the no option list and

80% AC motor deal.
Reply to
m Ransley

... : The estimate is for comple install for a Lennox G61MPV-36B-070 Gas : Furnace and AC 13ACC 3.0 Ton Air 13 SEER. $4500 is that a good price ? : : are those models good ? He said he will also include a electric air : filter for $395 if i sign by end of the month. ... Doesn't sound too far out, but those are famous last words ;-0. One thing sticks out to me: After the end of the month, will he cut the price by $395 or is there a different "freebie". It's BS that it's "free" and it always get my ire up when I hear "gotta hurry or..." crap like that. Honest or not, that turns any deal into a hard-sell IMO.

Besides, you should have two to three more estimates before you go making any decisions; you'll learn a LOT more from the additional estimates.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

That scares me. He is more interested in the sale than your well being. What happens after the end of the month? If he has a legitimate factory deal that expires on 12/31, it may be legit. If he is just trying to get you to sign, look for a better installer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't sell Lennox, but it COULD be that they have some kind of rebate program that ends December 31st.

I know we had a helluva run on Carrier equipment because they had that "Cool Cash" rebate that expired on November 11th (why on THAT day I don't know).

Funny. I tried to google "Lennox Rebate" and look at this page:

Does this guy sound like a used car salesman or what??!!!

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Thanks for the info. The cleaner is not really free, he said he is gonna give me at cost, which ever i pick, i picked this one which was the middle kind. He said the estimate was good for a month. I had a friend over the day the guy was there and he said, thats a sales man! I scheduled a couple of more estimates, one from sears, another from a trane dealer, i want to get an idea of what different brand contractors have to offer. I might have a reem dealer give me an estimate also. You are right, different estimates will give me a better idea, i don't think i am gonna go with 20 different estimates, once i decide on a brand, maybe, i might have another contract with the same brand give me one more estimate, i am just unsure of what brand, i do understand the point of having an installer that is good, but if the furnace has know issues then i would be hesitant, like this guy did offer me a goodman, but he preffered the Lenox. This is my first house i bought and i am new to these things and I really appreciate your advice, i just wish the warranty i got with the house would just replaced it for me, but they won't till it is disfunctional.

best regards!

Reply to
ezxcvbnm

Those would be warning signs in my book as well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just out of curiosity, why are you replacing the old furnace? Is it not working?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Heathcliff

it is working,

1 - i think it is not efficeint, bills to high 2- my neighbour recommended as he has a similar house and he is the original owner 30+ years.

do you think i should wait, do you see benefit in waiting and let it die on its own, i really want it to break on its so i can have it repalced via the warranty!

Reply to
ezxcvbnm

Similar homes mean nothing when you are looking at heating and cooling bills.

Warranty companies are no longer replacing units cause they break. They nickle and dime YOU to death with the so called deductable.

Depends on what you can get it installed for. I mean, you wasted that money on the home warranty.....

Reply to
CBHVAC

What did he include in his quote. When I got my furnace and AC replaced I skipped right over all the quotes that had a 2 or 3 line quote that they would replace with model no xxx. The quotes I considered were the ones that listed just what they would do.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill