furnace BTU

Page 2 of 5
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 01:11:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas

When I lived in NY, several of my coworkers were *installing* coal furnaces. Oil was going "sky high" ($1/gal) and they were looking for a cheap heat. NO THANKS! What a mess.
In VT, several had outdoor wood boilers. They were out in the boonies (Vermont *is* the boonies, so the boonies is *really* rural) because neighbors would have lynched them otherwise. ;-)
On 12/23/2013 10:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

********************I Be Dun Trim Da Phat********************

A country boy can survive. Amazing how folks from "the sticks" can adapt to any situation. It may not be pretty and shinny but it will work. ^_^
TDD

I heard of a couple country boys, living off grid. Finally figured out hot water. Cut the bottom off a gas WH, and set it up on blocks outside. Kindle a fire under it, to heat the water. Pipes and hoses to bring the hot water indoors. Showers on, now!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I don't know. There's all that insulation to heat the water through.
Seems to me it's better to take the cooling water from the still, after it's been warmed by the hot alcohol vapor, and use that to wash with, if you actually have to wash.
On 12/23/2013 8:14 PM, micky wrote:

Thu fahr waz jus wear de burner would ha bin, so ain got much insulllayshun in buh tween the fahr an de watter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You did say gas. Me and my pappy got usn a new-fangled lektrik watereater.

On 12/24/2013 11:55 AM, micky wrote:

Lektrik do take a bit mur werk. Kut all dem sheet metals hoff.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/23/2013 5:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Isn't it very expensive to burn Kindles? I would hope they were damaged returns to Amazon. O_o
TDD
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:17:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Outdoor wood boilers are really disgusting smokers. I wouldn't want one in the house next to me, either.

Much as I hate to admit it, Baltimore is probably not the NE.
I had a gas stove in my apartment in Brooklyn, but here I have no gas at all. It's avaible 150 yards from here, but the builder didn't pay to run the pipe to this n'hood. Even though it was the same builder!
At least I don't have to worry about a gas explosion from the n'bors (or me).
On 12/22/2013 4:19 PM, micky wrote:

In that case, how would we have 4,000 gas explosions a year, if you didn't help with the numbers? You aren't doing your fair share.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Those octopus furnae used to terrify me. Could not stand the sight of one. Just some primal fear.
I got to help take out one, when I was adult. It had about 500 pounds of sand on top, for thermal mass. We scooped it off with a shovel, and took out to the back yard in bags and buckets. The new furnace saved a lot of fuel money.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/22/2013 7:00 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The old furnace may be a good thing to have when TSHTF because it is so simple and just works. Coal may be easier to obtain when the infrastructure for petroleum and natural gas is destroyed. o_O
TDD

Fuels are regional. My part of the world has more firewood. W. Virginia has more coal. Still, simple is good.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/22/2013 9:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Think of the old simple cars people are trashing. An EMP will make all the vehicles with engine control computers, even modern diesels, useless so the only thing that will run will be things like that old 57 Ford pickup under all that junk in the barn. Simple is good in some hopeless situations. ^_^
TDD

After the government takes all the guns, I've still got my claw hammer. And my old bicycle that I rode in high school.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/22/2013 3:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A ball-peen hammer works better for self defense. I have several hammers but I wish I could still ride a bicycle or even walk without pain and wobbling. ^_^
TDD

I also wish it for you. You're too valuable to just fade away in a hospice.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/22/2013 8:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I thought I wrote that I was dropped from hospice care in October. My nurse told me I wasn't dying fast enough, in fact I wasn't declining at all but improving. I was sent home from the hospital to die but I'm too damned ornery. I even shipped back the 32 thousand dollar external defibrillator unit that I had been wearing. I still take a handful of pills twice a day. I can't take NSAIDS because of kidney problems so I must put up with painful swollen joints, chronic pain is a real drag. I do appreciate the good thoughts though. Now I'm worried about Sandy because she has a skin problem. o_O
TDD
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 21:25:50 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Only the good die young, so you should be with us for a while yet <BG>