Fuel leak where line enters fuel tank

Hi. I hope this is the right group to post this question. I have a weed whacker/trimmer and the fuel line goes from the carb into the fuel tank via a hole in the fuel tank (instead of there being a connector on the fuel tank). Original fuel line was OK in that it was thick and filled the hole pretty well. I had a replace the fuel line and while the new line appeared to be the same outer diameter of the original fuel line, fuel is managing to leak out of the tank from the hole through which the fuel line enters. I guess I could try to find thicker fuel line; but the stuff I just installed was difficult enough to get through the hole. My question is does anyone know of a good way to seal the apparent gap (not easily visible other than of course the fuel leaking out) between the fuel line and the tank? I tried silicone; but that does not appear to be fuel/oil-resistant (trimmer is 2-cycle).

Thanks. Kevin

Reply to
k-man

A good mower shop should have the correct fuel line, I have to go to the next town south for mine, but none of the big box store stuff works. I've tried just about everything to seal the leak from a too small hose, and haven't yet found anything that works..

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Try some epoxy-I fixed a leaky mower fuel tank with some. MLD

Reply to
MLD

MLD wrote: ...

At the possible expense of making a future replacement nearly impossible.

I'm w/ the other poster who recommended getting the proper fuel line from the OEM.

Alternatively, depending on the style/shape of tank, etc., could possibly find and install a bulkhead connector so could have the external fitting.

--

Reply to
dpb

get the proper tygon hose and you will not have a leak. It's the transparent yellow looking hose available at the small engine shops.

Steve Barker DLT

Agree. The trick to getting it through the hole 'easily' is to cut the end at a narrow "v" about 3/8" or more. Poke the end through the hole as far as it will go, go in through the fuel cap hole with a pair of forceps or long nose pliers, grasp the fuel line, and pull it through as much as you need. It pulls a lot easier than trying to push it.

KC

Reply to
KC

I cut the end in a LONG diagonal, maybe 2". Real EZ to feed thru the hole and pull, costs little.

nick hull

Thank you all. Sounds like replacing using the right fuel line is the way to go.

Thanks. Kevin

Reply to
k-man

Wound up getting some fuel line from a small engine parts shop via mail order. The line was "black" and described to fit the Homelite's. Nice quality line; but it was just slightly too thick. Couldn't push it through at all. Did the long, diagonal cut but the line simply kept on stretching if I tried to pull it through. I wound up drilling out the tank holes slightly and that did the trick. Took several minutes to push the return line in and to push the intake line through the tank far enough so that I could reach the end to put the fuel filter on it! Took a while but ideally the fix is DONE and should stay done for a long while. Trimmer works great now.

Thanks again for the tips.

Kevin

Reply to
k-man