Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS!

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

The door lock assembly for your washer (or one like it) is $70 here: http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID 0920
--Gene
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

SK,
The $270 quote sounds a bit too high. I hope it was a free estimate, and you did not have to pay for the initial diagnostics. The door has two components:
1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is fine. If your machine needs just this part, you can fix it yourself for less than $10. http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartIDx0701
2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. This is what my washer will probably need. The cost is about $70 to $90 (cheaper on the web). However, where it is connected is in a tight spot, and I will need the repairman to install it. So, that will add his cost: $45 for the first 15 minutes, and $10 each additional 15 minutes http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID 0920
The repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on Thursday, his truck's axle broke :( So he called to reschedule -- let's hope it gets fixed this week. I'll send you an email when it is done, with details. And a referral, if you are in the Bay Area.
Bhoot Nath.
Thanks for the information. I think I have figured out how to fix or manage to use the wash machine before it is fully fixed. The door catch looks intact. When the door is closed (locked), the upper portion of the door catch goes into the upper hole of the door lock assembly, pressing the lever upwards which turns on the power for motor. Also when the lever is pressed upwards, the lower portion of the door catch is engaged in the lower hole of the door lock assembly, which prevents the door from getting loose during the wash cycles. My washmachine's lever has been drooped slightly downward and the upper protruding portion of door catch can not push the lever upwards, instead it pushes the lever forwards. I am in the middle of reshaping the door catch using Dremel grinder so that it has right angle with respect to the lever. I already tried once, but I grinded the catch wrongly. I have ordered another door catch.
In the meantime, we are using the washmachine by inserting three quarter conins at the bottom of the door to press the lever upwards. It works great, even thou primitive.
I will inform you in some days whether it has been fully fixed or we are still using quarters to make it work. Also I will be intetrested what is the progress at your side. SK
If you run into a problem with the replacement motor, the installer will not warrant the one you supplied yourself. That's why they're entitled to the markup. They're assuming extra risk.
Pay them to do the entire job, and they will make good on any subsequent problems. Pay them to install your part, and you're on your own if it fails.
HeyBub wrote:

I would say repair it, though there is a lot of great DIY advice here. A new machine is definitely going to cost more than $300.
Theresa
Mine (same model) wouldn't spin today. It just loafed a little one way, and sat, and loafed a little the other, and sat, taking half an hour for a quick "drain and spin" cycle and leaving the clothes soppy. I tried four times with no luck and went to hunt down the manual. The manual says that can be caused by an inadequately latched door or a too-small load. In my case, throwing in a couple of wet hand towels with what was indeed a small load solved the problem.
Kathy
deja snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If it has a mechanical timer, it is sticking and running slow. The timer needs to be cleaned/serviced or replaced.
The timer uses a motor to make contacts connect to other contacts as the mechanis moves in a full circle. When the contacts are rubbing together, more force is needed to use it so it will run slower or intermittently start/stop along its path.
Front loaders in general seem to have more problems than top loaders. IMO. We went through a 6 year nightmare with Maytag (Neptune model). Can you say class action suit?! Anyway we have another Front loader, Whirlpool for about 9 months so far, so good. Our friends have the Frigidaire for over a year, no problems yet.

Yes, front loaders do tend to have more problems due to the more complicated engineering, so an extended warranty is a good idea for these machines. Our Frigidaire Gallery is coming up on 3 years of good service, only had to have the door gasket replaced with a redesigned one that stopped the small seepage. Works great, does about 5-6 loads a week.