Frigidaire front-loading washing machine is taking NAPS!

I have exactly the the model (FTW445GES1) showing the same problem. Also when I press the door, the wash machine starts to work. Today a repair man came and quoted $270 to replace the door lock assembly. I could not decide whether it was a good idea to pay for the amount. I am now contemplating whether to have it repaired or buy a new one.

I would appreciate what happened to your wash machine afterwards. Has it been repaired and how much was the cost?

SK

Reply to
skmin.associates

That seems expensive. Almost half the price of a new machine. The assembly costs about $70 but it might be just the catch.

If I couldn't fix it myself I would go for a new one.

Reply to
Rich256

Installing that switch is a real bear. An average homeowner would look in there and say it's impossible, and they'd be almost right.

Q (ex appliance tech)

Rich256 wrote:

But it could be just the latch. If pushing on the door closes it the problem must be mechanical.

I think what I would do is check out the wiring and bypass it. Just remember not to open the door when it is running.

I expect it is not much more than a switch controlled by a signal from the motor or timer.

Reply to
Rich256

The door lock assembly for your washer (or one like it) is $70 here:

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

As I recall there is a micro switch or maybe two, and a wax motor. You could indeed bypass it. You can access the switch/lock from the bottom access panel or by removing the top. You'll need to wedge something between the drum and the front panel in order to get your hands in there. It's a good idea to wear long sleeves to prevent cuts by the sharp sheet metal. There is a wiring diagram on the tech sheet which is located in an envelope glued to the side of the washer behind the lower panel.

SK,

The $270 quote sounds a bit too high. I hope it was a free estimate, and you did not have to pay for the initial diagnostics. The door has two components:

  1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is fine. If your machine needs just this part, you can fix it yourself for less than .
  2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. This is what my washer will probably need. The cost is about to (cheaper on the web). However, where it is connected is in a tight spot, and I will need the repairman to install it. So, that will add his cost: for the first 15 minutes, and each additional 15 minutes
    The repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on Thursday, his truck's axle broke :( So he called to reschedule -- let's hope it gets fixed this week. I'll send you an email when it is done, with details. And a referral, if you are in the Bay Area.

Bhoot Nath.

Reply to
deja_bhoot2000

Hello Q:

There are two parts to the door latch:

  1. The Washer Door Catch (Attached to the door). This is easy to replace by yourself. In my washer, this part is FINE.
  2. The complete door lock /latch kit with all the wires. My GUESS is that is what my washer needs.
    I have repaired many appliances myself, including a microwave, a bread machine, clothes dryer, etc. However, in case of the Frigidaire washing machine, the switch is next to the drum, very inaccessible. I have no idea how to proeprly replace it. I have not had the courage to tackle it ... plus, with a toddler, I can't expect my wife to be able to help if I get stuck.

As an ex-appliance tech, please tell me if the following rate for labor is fair/reasonable: $45 for the first 15 minutes, and $10 each additional 15 minutes. Also, how much time you think an average repairman would take? Got any recommendation in mid-peninsula and/or east bay of the SF Bay Area (Fremont, Milpitas, Palo Alto, Mountain View)?

One repairman was supposed to fix my machine last Friday, but on Thursday, his truck's axle broke :( So he called to reschedule -- let's hope it gets fixed this week.

Bhoot Nath.

Reply to
deja_bhoot2000

Thanks for the information. I think I have figured out how to fix or manage to use the wash machine before it is fully fixed. The door catch looks intact. When the door is closed (locked), the upper portion of the door catch goes into the upper hole of the door lock assembly, pressing the lever upwards which turns on the power for motor. Also when the lever is pressed upwards, the lower portion of the door catch is engaged in the lower hole of the door lock assembly, which prevents the door from getting loose during the wash cycles. My washmachine's lever has been drooped slightly downward and the upper protruding portion of door catch can not push the lever upwards, instead it pushes the lever forwards. I am in the middle of reshaping the door catch using Dremel grinder so that it has right angle with respect to the lever. I already tried once, but I grinded the catch wrongly. I have ordered another door catch.

In the meantime, we are using the washmachine by inserting three quarter conins at the bottom of the door to press the lever upwards. It works great, even thou primitive.

I will inform you in some days whether it has been fully fixed or we are still using quarters to make it work. Also I will be intetrested what is the progress at your side. SK

Reply to
skmin.associates