Fridge timer breaking twice

Hi everyone
We have a Samsung fridge - freezer on top, it is 7 years old. 3 weeks ago the timer stopped working, so we replaced it with a new timer (60 dollars). Tonight we realised the new timer stopped working also.
Any idea what causes timers to fault? If we turn it manually the fridge cools/defrosts as normal. Now we leave it on frost, we change it manually to defrost every 6 hours for 14 minutes until we find the reason. I dont want to buy another one for it to break also.
Help?!
--
bunny
bunny wrote:

Hi,
How did it quit/fail?

Bad part, no power to the timer from something else in the refrigerator, water or moisture getting onto the timer, installed incorrectly?!?....some possible trouble makers.

Model#?
Hi Jeff
Thank you so much for answering. I am in Australia. My Samsung fridge model is SRG-488.
The timer stopped working - it was stuck on the cold cycle. I noticed that a few things froze in the fridge section yesterday and today the freezer wasnt freezing properly. So my husband checked the timer and sure enough, timer is stuck on cooling and doesnt spin. I am guessing that if there was no power to the timer, it wouldnt work at all when i turn it manually either. Will get my husband to open the timer up and check for moisture. It was installed properly as it worked for 3 weeks.
I really appreciate your help! We are expecting a new baby and cant afford getting a new fridge. Thanks again.
--
bunny
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:38:00 -0500, bunny

Even if you could afford it, that is no reason to buy a new one when the old one can be fixed.
OOOhhh we just went to the homepage that is in your signature and found a whole walkthrough on how to fix frost free problems. Well... we opened up the freezer floor and what do you know.. the coils are all iced up! so with my hair dryer we melted it. Now we cant hear the defrost heater working at all. Could this have been the problem? defrost heater doesnt work means the timer doesnt work because they are connected - or are these 2 seperate problems?
I am getting really worried that we will need a new fridge as there is so much to fix. I appreciate any help!!
--
bunny
When the timer sticks in the cooling cycle, the coils frost over. Might try to find a different supplier for defrost timers.

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.