Freezer antics

Yesterday, my Frigidaire 16 cu. ft. upright freezer had a lot of ice in it from condensation. The refrigerant flows through the wire shelves. I thawed it out, removing all the ice. Upon startup, the outside of the freezer skin got up to 122 degrees F. The coils were icing slightly, so I knew it was working. I kept an eye on it, and put a large fan on it to keep the heat down.
Is that common? This morning, it's cold in there, and seems to be running fine.
Steve
Sounds normal, to me. I had one like that, years ago. The door seal was useless, and I had to defrost it too often. Finally scrapped it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Isnt that what the defroster circuit does, heat it up, but 122 is very hot, ive felt my frige with defrost on it only was warm. Do you have a Kill a watt, if so monitor it. My old frige had a derfroster clock brake in the On position and it would not cool well.