Framing wooden walls in basement?

A couple of questions about framing interior walls in the basement:

On either end the basement, joists are more than 1' away from the concrete wall. Is it possible to attach a stud wall adjacent to the concrete wall (ignoring proper insulation practices, for now)? How is this done?

I have a similar question for walls that are perpendicular to the joists. If the joists are uneven, won't there be difficulty nailing the top plate of the stud wall into the joist?

Go easy, I'm new to this stuff and I'm just looking for design ideas.

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
Borrall Wonnell

I had a similar situation with a vacation house that was built into the side of a hill. The concrete wall was only on the hill side, and the rest was framed in - acutally used 2x3, as there was no load on this wall. I first put up about 1" bead board as insulation, then framed up against that. I simply anchored the sill with concrete nails (just to keep it from kicking out). At the top, I hooked into the rafters. It was actually "free standing," and there was no flex. I then put dry wall over that, and then paneling. Wiring of course went in before the dry wall/paneling. The span might have been around 15', if I recall correctly.

Others may have their opinions.

Reply to
professorpaul

Nail extra pieces (bridging) between the end joists and attach top plate to that. Nail (sister) extra pieces to the face of existing joists to give a level surface to attach top plate. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Consider using the steel ones since it's a basement. I would rather use something that potentially rusts over something that could potentially rot if you ever get water problems.

Reply to
scott21230

Got photos? Might help get some advice.

tom @

Tom The Great

Reply to
buffalobill

Neat. This may very well work, but I'll have to check if there's something for me to nail the bridging pieces to. Right now, that area is hidden by a vapour barrier and fiberglass insulation. At the basement 'ceiling', the vapour barrier extends from the concrete wall to the joist, where it is stapled/glued in place. I can't see beyond that due to the insulation.

As for nailing sister pieces to joists, that sounds like a fine idea, as some of the joists are at a visibly different height in the center of the basement (I'd estimate 0.5" - 0.75"). This may not be a problem at the concrete wall, since all the joists *should* be at the same level. I haven't measured yet.

Sorry, no pics. I'm technologically inclined, but not technologically endowed.

Cheers, Dave

Reply to
Borrall Wonnell

and then:

Some nice informative articles there. I have a book or two on home renovations, but it's always good to have secondary material to refer to. Thanks.

Reply to
Borrall Wonnell