Foam Brushes

What's the deal with foam brushes? Is there something they work better for than bristle brushes do, eg painting a door and you don't want to leave brush strokes?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/700657/cheap_foam_brush /
Foam brushes are great for applying the second and third coats of polyurethane.

I like the for quick jobs where you'd spend more time cleaning up than actual painting. No, they will never be as good as a quality bristle brush, but sometimes that is all you need.

For really really quick jobs, sometimes I just use a newspaper rolled into a cone.
Thanks. I always thought they were a step below bristle brushes, but thought maybe I was missing something.

I like them to apply stain. but only the ones with wood handles. The plastic handled ones turn into mush when they get liquid on them.

Use them for small jobs where you are using oil based paint. Use once and throw away. Cheaper than cleaning with paint thinner that's now about $6/gallon. Perfectly good for big jobs for the primer coat.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When I'm working with alkyd and brush (real, good bristle brush) or spray, I keep a cheapo foam brush handy to catch runs and drips. Especially with sprayer, a brush already wrung out with mineral spirits will catch drips before the set and it leaves a smoothe coat of paint. I spray painted my old klunker range hood with enamel and the foam brush was very handy. Looks like new, unfortunately :o)

I've never stained anything, but I'll keep this in mind for when I do.