FM Radio Antenna

Page 2 of 3
mm wrote:

Hi, Car radio must have an external antenna to pull in signals. Car body acts like ground(ground plane).
benick wrote:

One of the benefits of my retiring to Maine was getting away from the southern gospel preachers.

Yes, I find that (southern gospel preachers) to be the worst thing on radio.
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:29:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Does that include houses with aluminum or vinyl coated steel siding?
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:22:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I used to repair things for pocket change, and I lived near a college. I went over to a dorm, in an old apartment building, to pick up a sewing machine, and the girl complained that her 12" b&w tv got bad reception. I told her it was the metal frame of the building (steel girders) and that she should get some lamp cord or other wire and connect it and throw the end of it out of the window.
I couldn't fix the sewing machine, but when I brought it back a week later, she had bought a new 12" b&w tv and she was saying how she got bad reception. I told her it was the metal frame of the building and that she should get some lamp cord or other wire and connect it and throw the end of it out of the window. She gave me the old tv, which worked fine at my apartment.
Headphone rm-radio: on weak signal, if I put my hand up near it, it pulls in MUCH better.
Long ago, I recall that a tiny "transistor radio" (1958? Japanese) would REALLY pull-in (AM I think it was) when I put it next to a radiator-pipe.
What's happening -- and how to make it happen without having to hold my hand up near my ears?
Thanks,
David
David Combs wrote:

Wind a whole lotta copper coil wire around your head? Maybe as a hatband on a fishing hat?
-- aem sends....
David Combs wrote:

Hi, Headphone is acting like an antenna. Phone cord can do dual job pick up redio frequency and delivering audio frequency to your ears.

Your hand is acting like an antenna. try attaching a length of wire to it in various ways. (wrap around the antenna, case, or whatever)

Have him move down here to Asheville, NC. He'll hear it 24/7 without a radio.

put a decent car radio on a AC to DC converter, and keep it in the house.

put a decent car radio on a AC to DC converter, and keep it in the house.
He doesn't have a spare car on blocks in the front yard to take a radio out of like you rednecks do..LOL...
Giter Done...Right????LOL
Sanity wrote:

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a good place to avoid.

Here is a link to build his own out of flat 300 ohm lead in wire http://www.kgnu.org/ht/helpfm.html#makeantenna
If you need to fine tune for a specific frequency divide 5565 by the station frequency in MHZ and that will give you the length in inches for the top part of the antenna. These antennas are directional so try it first on one wall and again on one 90 degrees away

I bet its the radio and most home stero fm radios have poor specs anyway, it might be Kloss that has a good unit or get a car radio, but learn sensitivity specs, there is a big online cataloge seller of car stuff [ fotgot the name] that publishes specs for about all car radios made, and everything else on car stereos.
A friend of mine, Bob the Farmer, had a tree rubbing his power feed wire. He mentioned it to Bucky, who was there to unload his septic pumping truck on Bob's field. They have an arrangement.
Anyhow, Bucky suggested to shoot the branch down. Bob tried a shot or two, but no success.
I arrived an hour or so later, and Bob mentioned this. I asked which gun, and what loads. he'd used a shotgun, and #7 shot. I suggested that since shot spreads out, he oughta use a deer slug. He went back in the house, and got a deer slug shell, and a shotgun. And handed them to me.
I walked once or twice around, looking at the tree. Figure if I missed, what's the backstop. (none). So, what's about 150 yards away, where the slug will fall. I lined up a good angle, shouldered the shotgun, and squeeze slowly. The gun went off, and the branch fell out of the sky. This was in maybe 1992, and no, I didn't get a picture.
Bucky has died since then, and I'm not gonna give out Bob's number. Not even sure if he remembers this.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Something nobody's mentioned yet: You didn't say how old the Fisher was. There was a time when they made decent stuff, probably back in the 60s & 70s. They dredged up the brand name in the mid-1980s and slapped it on some of the worst shit imaginable. Worse than Sanyo, if that's possible. Depending on the age of your dad's receiver, it may be a piece of crap. And even if it's one of the good ones, it could probably use a going-over by a competent tech, if you can find one.

Thanks for the on topic replies..joe is correct on his reciever being a crappy one from from the early 90's I think..Maybe a little older. He also has a NEW metal roof...I think a new reciever and outdoor omnidirectional antenna should get his Southern Gosple music back.

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:07:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I had some Fisher equipment made around 1980 by Sears. It worked OK then but didn't last very long.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com