Fluorescent Lights

My fluorescent lights in my garage last about a week, then start flickering and won't light properly. I have tried replacing the starters, tubes, and on one side the whole fitting, but in a short time the same thing happens. Can anyone help with this please? neil
I can think of a couple of easy things. First are these fixtures grounded? If not they should be. In a garage situation there is often a lot of moisture and moisture tends to cause oxidization of the contacts. I would guess that is the real problem. Try removing and replacing the lamps a few times and see if that fixes them for a while. If so, that means you need new sockets.
I am a little curious. You noted "starters" do you mean the little tin can things on small 20W or less lamps?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
This may sound dumb, but you might be using the wrong bulbs. If you have 40W 48" tubes, you have to be careful to actually get the right ones. A lot of the 48" tubes on sale are either the 32W ones or 25W "shoplite" ones. These may perform very badly in a 40W "residential" fixture.

Good point Donald.
Neil, I suggest that you open the fixture and read the label on the ballast. It will tell you what bulbs will work with that ballast. Make sure that you have the correct starter as well.
Good luck.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:59:55 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@global.co.za wrote:

Starters? It sound like you have some (very) old flourescent fixtures. The newer models should work fine (try replacing one).
snipped-for-privacy@global.co.za.remove-rdk-this writes:

Yes, you have to get decent flourescent lights. The typical under $10 cheapies often don't work properly in garages/basements; the temperature is too cold. There are electronic ballast units that work MUCH better. Excpect to spend about $30-$40 each for units that hold 2 4-ft bulbs.
--
Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7) snipped-for-privacy@zk3.dec.com
HP/Compaq Corporation snipped-for-privacy@compaq.com