fluorescent light noise in radio

If a fluorescent light is creating a lot of noise in the radio does this mean it's going bad? Could it cause a fire in that condition?

Thanks Dale

Reply to
dale.j.

Increased radio noise doesn't indicate the light is going bad. Fluorescent lights, including the energy-saving "bulbs", see to produce a lot of noise. In fact it drowns out some local radio stations.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I was installing a bunch of CF's (thousands) and found out that they produced 100% harmonics. A few hundred would not have been a problem on that electrical system. We stopped the order and got CF's that were a lot lower in harmonic content.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi, No. That is typical of those bulbs. AM is useless. FM is less noisy. If signal is strong, it'd be OK. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No. Magnetic or electrical fields interfere with AM radio. Make sure the lamp is UL approved. It is possible that any electrical item could cause a fire. Use common sense and check your smoke detectors.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for all your responses. I simply thought the noise perhaps be a indicator of something in the light that is arcing or breaking down electrically.

Dale

Reply to
<diel

Flourescents induce noise in electronics, you will never see a flourescent lamp in a recording studio . My radio and Tv are the same, noise from flourescent lights affects them.

Reply to
m Ransley