flooring choices for sunroom

I have a concrete floored sunroom on the back of my house that needs some sort of strong flooring that doesn't get slippery when wet and has decent resistance to stuff like dirt and mud.
Tile gets slippery and it's expensive, vinyl seems to be a better choice but it doesn't really seem like an indoor/outdoor kinda product.
There's some lousy astroturf out there now, and it's horrible. We don't want to go with that ugly stuff again.
Another reason not to put vinyl in a sunroom is that the heat is likely to make the vinyl emit gasses for ever. When we fixed up a townhome for my elderly parents, we removed vinyl from the sunroom. The stench from under the vinyl was incredible. Previous owners were breathing that smell of vinyl for 10 years. We replaced it with Mannington laminate which has water resistant edges. Been 3 plus years and it looks brand new but I find it slightly slippery with acrylic socks on. Not slippery at all with bare feet or shoes. Might be more expensive than you are looking for. If the concrete is dry and decent, you could paint it with epoxy paint and then use a throw rug in the middle. Put sand in the epoxy or it might be too slippery. Follow instructions on the cans exactly. Use the real 2 part epoxy.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not all tile gets slippery. You are probably thinking about glazed tile, which is not really suitable for floors (although alot of contractors use it for floors because it's cheap). There are many types of outdoor tile (ceramics or travertine) that won't get slippery when wet.
BRW
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Fwiw ... I've seen a product (???) advertised that basically paints/rollers on over the concrete steps, porches and is in the color of your choice. Since it's for outdoor use (I know your application is indoors) it should be durable.
On 29 Nov 2006 12:25:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You might try this epoxy finish: http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_idV&SBL=1
The chips make it look nicer than straight floor paint and also help prevent slipping. We sell it at our True Value hardware store out on the tundra in western Alaska. You should be able to find it at places that sell Rust Oleum products.

you can try the epoxy stuff that is made for garage floors and has flakes for *decoration* or if the sun room doesn't leak and is weather proof, you can look into a decent commercial grade carpet. are you worried about it getting wet from coming in from the pool or something like that or something else like wet feet on a rainy day?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Tile.
Tile isn't slippery. Find a tile with a texture appropriate for where you're using it. Tile is *certainly* not expensive. You can spend a lot, or a little, your choice.

Good idea. Now go look at tile.
--
Keith

Good advice folks. Thanks for talking me out of vinyl, I was starting to consider vinyl sticky tiles as they're so cheap and they look decent enough.
Paint is also an excellent suggestion, didn't even think about that! Tile was the obvious choice, but it never hurts to ask around, ehe?
Thanks again!