floor installation cost

Does anyone have any approximate costs for hiring someone to put in a laminate floating type floor in our house? We live in Northern California. The thing is we would be hiring a person who comes with great references but is not a "flooring" contractor more like a general handyman. should we ask for a bid or by the hour also? Any info is appreciated. Thanks. chattyrona

Reply to
chattyrona

Between 1.50 to 2.50 per square foot.

Reply to
valvejob

wrote

Hello,

I don't fall into the category of handyman, when it comes to floors, I install for a living.

I certainly wouldn't charge the same for a straight forward floor, as I would for one with several obstacles (pipes, toilet closet, islands, fireplace, scribe work, etc.) Also, I wouldn't charge the same per sq. ft. for a small area, as I would a larger area.

Other considerations are, prep work, undercuts, baseboard and how many piece the base work is.

In other words, there is no pricing set in stone for all installs. Each install for residential work is usually different, and requires more work than "installing the floor". Each job should be considered based upon the amount of work to get to the desired finished project.

I'm certain you wouldn't be happy if your handyman gave you a price to install the flooring, and hit you with a larger bill for all the other work involved.

Be sure to have an open line of communication, so each party knows what is expected from them.

Reply to
Earl Kurtz

IIRC, it was about $2 a square foot a few years ago. I did it myself but the dealer offered the service.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is the general cost for ceramic tile/stone installation per sq ft?

Reply to
Yamuk

I paid $2.50/sqft for my laminate install over subfloor, and $6.50/ sqft for ceramic tile on basement concrete.

Reply to
Andrew Duane