float charger

Today I was messing around in the garage and decided to start the riding mower. Well the battery was dead. My neighbor says he keeps a float charger on his all winter. Can someone tell me what a float charger is and what does it do? Is it the same as a battery maintaner? Thanks for any info
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 1, 2:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

What you want is a battery tender. Google and you'll find it. It's basicly a slow charger that will charge the battery up to a full charge, then monitor it and maintain it at a full charge. If you don't use one, batteries will self-discharge over time. Leaving a start type battery discharged for any length of time will ruin it.
Add pictures here
✖
Here is one: (Amazon.com product link shortened)

Add pictures here
✖

tractor batteries only last a few years, how old is yours?
Add pictures here
✖

I think the reason many of them only last a few years is that people let them get discharged over the winter and that's what ruins them. I've seen many small batteries of this type last as long as a car battery if you take care of them.
Add pictures here
✖

Here's the one I've been using 24/7 on my generator for the past two years. No issues. I know what everyone says about HF products but you have to pic and choose. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB292
Add pictures here
✖