Flickering Lights

Page 2 of 2
On 11/21/2012 7:05 AM, TimR wrote:

I assume this underground line was a 4160 line? Back in the late 80's I was working out in the Marshall Islands where the underground power distribution was all 4160 since the largest island was only 3 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. We ran 15kv rated cable with a semiconductor shield because of the salt water conditions were everything was required to be overbuilt so it would hold up. The guys who ran the power plants had connections and splices explode on several occasions because of the salt water getting into the insulation down in the manholes. O_o
TDD
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:56:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Replace the breaker first. They are under $10, and if it's not bad, it never hurts to have a spare on hand. Be sure to check the neutral connection in the breaker box too.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:56:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

That is where I would start. If it is just one circuit, remove the wire and take a look at it. You may even see some black spots if it is loose. Clean and replace.

Doubtful, but strange things sometimes do happen.

Possible
I had a similar situation. One circuit would go out every few weeks, sometimes a flicker, other times just out. . Resetting the breaker seemed to fix it so I was going to replace the breaker. Turns out to be a loose connection and the breaker is OK.
Resetting the breaker was just enough of a movement to make a good contact again.