Flat roofs, glue or mechanically fasten?

My current roof has mechanical fasteners (and is stretched?). But I'll need a new roof soon and I've looked at the WeatherBond website and that stuff is glued down.

Temperature problems with a glued roof? Why use mechanical fasteners?

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

Either Mechanical fasteners or glue-down is o.k. if done right. Careful research of uplift requirements and general climate limits are needed. T

Reply to
tbasc

How is your roof mechanically fastened?? Rubber roofs get glued down, not stretched and fastened. More information and maybe a photo if you could.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Every so many feet there is a nub thing that goes through to the underlayment.

This > How is your roof mechanically fastened?? =A0Rubber roofs get glued down,

Reply to
mkerna

You have a real oddball there, Mike. Typically flat roofs are done in bitumen (torch-down), EPDM (rubber), or tar & gravel. Rubber roofs typically have a service life of around 40 years, glued down, in all sorts of weather. Temperatures should not be an issue, but uplift can be, depending on the size of the roof.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I assumed it was to allow for expansion/contraction due to temperature changes, which is why I was concerned about glueing down a new roof.

I suppose I could do a test: mark a few points and measure between them at different temps.

Now another questi> You have a real oddball there, Mike. =A0Typically flat roofs are done in

Reply to
mkerna

Look into a rubber roof it is melted in place, or if your flat roof is in a high heating area like Zone 6 or less , consider FOAM roofing of up to 7 inches, I am considering it. Many flat roof construction has no insulation in my area, heat loss is maybe 40% up and out an uninsulated roof for me thats $6000+ a year. Think about cutting your bill 20-30%

Reply to
ransley

Well, I'm fairly certain the current roof is rubber (black, stretchy, kinda smells on a hot day, and marks up my bare hands). And what I'm considering is WeatherBond (EPDM), which is also rubber. I'm not sure I have much heating loss throug the roof, as the roof joists contain fiberglass batts.

I am c> Look into a rubber roof it is melted in place, or if your flat roof is

Reply to
mkerna

A "rubber" roof that is melted in place is likely a bitumen "torch- down" roof, which typically only has a life of 20 years or so. EPDM isn't generally glued directly to plywood. There is a "chipboard" that is used as underlayment for it, as plywood could have splinters big enough to cause issues with rubber.

The "iso" board is likely very high in R-value, usually R5 to R7.5 per inch.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake