Fixing cracked concrete in driveway and patio

We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
tenplay wrote:

It is a nice temporary fix. However you have not fixed the cause and the cracks will be back.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
The applications I've seen all fail after a short time, as the cracks keep developing, affecting the stone overlay. Properly laying epoxied stone pebbles takes considerable skill and pre-cleaning, and few contractors know how to do it, from what I have seen.

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:36:11 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Fixing
wrote:

It's costly and doesn't last long.

tenplay wrote:

So it seems that no one recommends this repair method. How then do I make the repairs short of taking out all the concrete and laying new concrete? Thanks again.

You probably can't. You could TRY just cutting out the section that's cracked, and pouring a new segment in with expansion joints at each side. You'll still have "cracks", but it will look like you did it on purpose, and if the subsurface prep isn't right, which is usually what causes these problems in the first place, then your three slabs will eventually heave out of alignment and you'll have bumps.
tenplay wrote:

About the best medium term solution is a flexible calk that can move with the changes in temperature etc. You can buy some concrete color (sort of) at the DIY store in the area where they sell the concrete products.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Epoxy coatings are not a repair at all. It is simply an alternate texture to concrete, so it is cosmetic only. Short of using concrete crack filler that comes in a caulking tube, there is nothing you can do short of replacing the concrete, as you have frost heave, expansive soils, or improper underlay aggregate/gravel.. BTW crack fillers tend not to match after awhile, and look even worse than the original cracks they were intended to hide.