Fixed Delta Kitchen faucet side sprayer diverter valve

I jumped into a previous thread about these valves not working. I finally figured mine out.
There was a rubber seal from an old diverter valve stuck in the valve assembly. I pulled it out with a bent toothpick, reassembled the unit, and it now works perfectly. This thing hadn't worked right since I bought the house 30 years ago.

I'm curious -- how do you bend a toothpick?
Doug Miller wrote:

Oops. My fingers weren't communicating with my brain. Make that paperclip.