Fix leak in DWV plastic pipe

I have a minor leak in DWV Scheduler 40 plastic pipe joint when tested (sewer line plugged with balloon plug). Unfortunately I cannot cut the pipe fittings because multiple fittings are connected to each other. The leak is a couple of drops of water seeping through the joint. Is there way to fix this without replacing the fittings?

If PVC glue does not work, try 5 minute 2 part epoxy , make sure no one is using the drain for about 15 minutes or so

I think the OP may be referring to a building inspector runing a presssure test, where they block the sewer line and pressurize the rest of the line to see if there are any leaks.

Correct. I need to fix this to pass plumbing inspection. The sipping leak is in vent pipe that never sees water anyway.
I wonder if silicon calk may seal the leak.

has the inspector seen the leak? if so you might have to replace the fittings, you can use ferncos to minimize how much must be replaced

My vote is for fine pipe cuttings sawdust mixed with pvc glue pressed into the area of the leak, with at least a 1-hour curing time before applying any pressure. If you can put a heated air flow over the area, so much the better. A hair dryer could be used, just don't get so hot you melt anything.

Wont stick properly to the ABS. You need a solvent glue.
Connection is vertical above ground. The problem with putting PC cement on joint is that it almost immediately drips out of the joint and does not stay where the leak is.
---

I have successfully mixed "sawdust" from cutting pipe mixed with joint cement to form a paste thick enough to stay but thin enough to press into the gap. Be sure to drain the water out the pipe and let it dry first before trying this method. Another plus is that it visually blends in the other joint cement and doesn't look like a patch as silicone will to the inspector.
On 3/20/2011 12:32 PM, ls02 wrote:

Apparently it is not a big deal. My house (new at the time) had a leak in a rats nest of DWV connectors. The plumber put some stuff around the outside of the leaking joint. It has been fine for ten years. I dont know what he used. But, I suspect a visit to the home center or a plumbing shop will yield the solution.

it with acetone in a syringe and blew it dry) and then brushing Sluyter ABS 55Y glue into the joint. Any standard yellow ABS solvent cement should do the job. It wicks in and welds the joint (just like the original assembly)
Mabee I just got lucky - but it worked for me.

Don't mess around with trying to flow PVC glue into the joint.
use this stuff, it works
http://www.polywater.com/bonduit.asp

Back in 1978 I had a 4" sewer line that leaked at a 4 x 4 x 3 joint where the installer failed to use enough cement.. The fix was to wrap it with fiberglass tape (several layers) using a 2 part epoxy. Still in service, bone dry. Draw your own conclusions.
Joe