Fireplace conversion

Hello, I'm looking for information on the options in converting a wood fireplace into a gas-fueled fireplace, primarily for heat. There is a gas line to the fireplace already and a gas insert in the garage.
Local vendors have told me various things...some will not work with the gas-insert unless it is bought from their company (they claim legal reasons, but since others have been open to look at it I wonder if that is true), others are open to take a look at the current configuration and provide options. I've read a little about vented/ventless and other things about gas logs...I have a local company coming out to assess the situation. What questions should I ask and what are indications of a quality company?
Thank you, Dave
I would never consider a gas log as a reasonable method of heating.. More for effect than for effeciency..
Anything do on an open hearth is a waste of fuel, going up the chimney..
A true insert would help since they are suppose to be designed to capture a higher percent of the btu that might go up the chimney.. Some of the fireplace inserts will have heat radiating baffles and blowers to circulate the room air around the fire box.. Some are designed for wood and others for gas..
Visit a reputable gas insert dealer and ask about an insert that is truly for efficient heating. It should be of an approved type for the sake of safety. I think it is HUD that has this approval responsibilty, if not it may be UL or something. I would look at the label on my free standing fireplace but it is too hot to look on the back. Hehhehe!
Steve
On 29 Oct 2003 16:21:28 -0800, tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave) wrote:

Don't rule out a wood burning insert. Amazing how much heat they can produce. Not to mention with the price of gas going up and the always possible interruption of availability, having a true backup source for heat is something nice to have.