Fire Departments Suck on ladders.

Page 2 of 3

Why? Most responses are to houses, etc. and the two story ladder would work. Even largest percentage of non-residential responses are probably one or two story strip malls, warehouses, etc. In most of the times when you need higher ladders you will be able to use the ladder trucks or quints.

for an extended period of time or risk damage to it when the main situation is stablized and there is no immediate danger. That makes a hell of a lot of sense.

other options available and the situation is not immediately threatening. Lawsuit waiting to happen there .

Okay the real reason comes out. You don't like FF for some reason.

up so you can feel better about their response.
I agree that the SWAT teams in Columbine blew it- There is a lunch truck in the video!!!!! Those idiots need some b@LLs. Even cops think that in that type of situation the officers need to barge in and get the perps startled and lives will be saved.

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

If my kid was in that school they'd have needed to chain me up or I'd have been in there taking care of business. Those cowards dont deserve a badge. Letting the killers have all the time they wanted is not good policy. Too many died because of that delay. This is why criminals in America are so brazen. They know cops and citizens are impotent to put them out.

On Apr 5, 1:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Ummm....Did you guys miss all the coverage somehow? That they were following policy just like all the other departments had the same policy. Did you somehow miss that that policy was changed nationwide after Columbine?
Harry K

Now, Harry. Don't confuse 'em by bringing in facts.
Steve

Still wasn't changed into let's just go ahead and barge on in immediately.

And still doesn't change that it is still "policy" that must be followed. Has nothing to do with 'cowardice'.
Harry K
That columbine case was an easy take down- anyone with a gun gets dropped. anyone suspicious gets cuffe and searched. Letting the killers walk around at leisure was cowardice- plain and simple. Those kids wouldnt be brave if a skilled shooter had the drop on them

Umm, I sure hope your house doesn't catch on fire anytime soon or a loved one doesn't end up in a hostage situation Your ignorance of the fire service only makes you look like an idiot. Why would they have a ladder that is taller than any building in town? Come on! There is a huge difference between a ladder from the hardware store and a piece of fire equipment. If you can show me the city or town that would approve the purchase of a ladder truck just in case someone climbs up a tree after a bird, I'll give you credit for your statement. Until then, quit commenting in ignorance.
On 5 Apr 2007 06:59:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What I don't get is, the shmuck with the parrot managed to get into the the tree. (I assume the parrot flew). Therefore, the chances are good that a Rescue team member could, to. After that, you don't need a ladder, you need a rope.
I expect they called out the helo because it was a good opportunity to get some relatively safe training time in, With the money not having to come from the training budget. But I suppose it could have been a case of, when you've got a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Would depend a lot on where he ended up I would suppose. First and probably foremost, the FD (unlike the civilian) has to answer to OSHA and various other people on safety issues. If the person got too high up in tree, there could be concerns about getting too much weight from other people in the area causing branches to break. Could be similar concerns about looping ropes around, etc. The FF would have to have some sort of safety apparatus to keep them safe from falling that might mess up the ability to get to the guy. As has been noted on numerous occassions, I have yet to see a cat's skeleton in the tree. I am thinking that if the guy had gotten hungry enough, he would have found a way down (g).

A rescue team member could probably climb up there, but it would be very dangerous for him. People who are stupid enough to get themselves into such situations can behave unpredictably and endanger their rescuers. Plus, the hazards of the climb and physical effort required also makes it more hazardous. Luke

No, you can't.
Luke

Best I could find at Home Depot or Lowes was 40 foot for $350.00 and that was only rated for 250 lbs. Don't know what the fire ladders are rated for, but that would seem low by the time you get a FF, gear and a rescuee on the ladder.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

http://www.duosafety.com /
They claim to be the oldest supplier of fire ladders in North America. They further state that all their extension and roof ladders are rated for 750lbs with a 4:1 safety factor. I don't think you'll be buying one of these at the borg.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

True. But the original suggestion was that one could bop down locally and grab a 40 footer for $350 or so. These guys you have to special order and the cheapest 40 footer is over $1600. Not really within the OP's stated parameters.

The OP claimed that he could buy a 60-footer for under $200.
Luke

Well I ws giving him the benefit of the doubt (g). I did not find a 60 footer even at duosafety.com. The other consideration is how many people would it take hump something that big from the truck to the scene. That has to be heeaavvvvyyyy.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

My point was that he was wrong... it couldn't be done. As for what you *could* buy locally, I borrowed a ladder from across the street when I was running satellite cable all over the outside of my father's house... including up to the third floor. The ladder I borrowed was almost too heavy for me and my old man to carry, and once we stood it up and leverage raised its ugly head, it really became almost impossible to reposition.
That was a heavy duty ladder to be sure; but it wasn't anywhere near what the fire department uses.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com