Finishing a basement stairway

I would like some ideas on finishing a basement stairway. The stairs are pine and not in that good of a condition. I don't want to put down carpeting but don't know if I want to paint them either. Aside from replacing the stairs with oak or another wood, is there something out there I can buy to put over the stairs? If I have to paint them, what is the process? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
whyntnw

they make vinyl stair tread covers. they are mostly for commecial situations, but would work well on basement stairs. try a large lumberyard, not HD or Lowes.

Reply to
marson

You can use laminate. The better brands have specific trim for the nose.

If you want to paint them, the process is cleaning, then brushing on a good floor paint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

barbarow

Thanks for your help everyone. I have some great ideas

Reply to
whyntnw