Finish nailer recommendation

Looking to back burner my dewalt D51256 16 ga. straight finish nailer. It's got to the point it needs some work (which i will probably have done anyway) but I'm thinking I'd rather have an angled 15 or 16 ga nailer. Cordless or pneumatic would be entertained. Mostly for nailing up 1x material as baseboard or window trim, some lighter work such as crown molding. Which ones do you folks have and like?

thanks

Reply to
Steve Barker

I bought a Senco, years ago, but it wasn't as well built like the really old Senco. I returned it, got a Hitachi, then bought a Hitachi brad nailer. Both are pneumatic, no problems with either. Couldn't tell you if the Hitachi's manufactured now are as good as built 12 years ago.

Reply to
Gomba

Do you want a "finish" nailer or a "brad" nailer.

The Harbor Freight Brad Nailer will shoot a fastner up to 1-1/2" which is adequate for baseboards and the like.

I got mine for less than $20 and use it so much I've just about forgotten how to use a hammer...

Reply to
HeyBub

Assuming one does have the Hobor Freight nailer, what size compressor would one need to use it for trim nailing and other occasional homeowner uses??? HP, oil/oilless, capacity, CFPM, PSI, etc ???

Reply to
r.mariotti

A little 6gal pancake compressor is fine for a homeowner, for pretty much any nailer. These kits are a good start and can sometimes be had for a couple of hundred bucks, sometimes less for the two nailer kits.

krw

Nailers use very little air-- even the HF ones. I've charged my

8gallon tank up with 100lbs of air and shot 100 or so brads before it needed re-charging.

The smallest compressor will run one of those brad nailers--- but buy the biggest compressor you have room and money for-- Once you start using it, you'll want to paint, sandblast, cut metal, and a million other things.

I've done all that with this one

the cycle on sandblasting is ridiculous-- and you're limited on painting. And it won't run a cutoff tool at all.

But even with those shortcomings, it is one of the handiest tools in the garage.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Virtually anything larger than the twelve-dollar gizmos used to inflate tires.

Brads are very skinny and present little resistance. I'll bet 75psi will drive them. That's for a BRAD nailer. Now frankly, that's all I use, even though I have a framing nailer on the shelf. Oh, I use a stapler every once in a while. Anyway, a framing nailer will need more air at a greater pressure inasmuch as a 10d nail is magnitudes bigger than a brad.

Anyway, the booklet that comes with your nailer, or the on-line version, will provide a minimum recommendation for a particular tool.

Reply to
HeyBub

A pancake compressor will drive framing nails just fine. I doubt a homeowner could outgun one, either. I know I can't.

Not particularly useful, IME.

Reply to
krw

Interestingly enough my brad nailers [HF], finish nailer [Bostitch], and framer [PC] all say 70-120psi. The finish and framer use more volume-- but the psi is the same. My compressor kicks on after about a dozen framing nails.

Just remember that when reading the CFM - tool manufacturers lie one way, and compressor manufacturers lie the other. So if the tool says it needs 2 CFM - buy a compressor rated for 4 CFM. [and pray] For nailers it won't matter-- but other tools use more air.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht