Finding studs

Page 2 of 2

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:25:36 -0500, AZ Nomad

Here's one with video http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/16297210/detail.html
Don't know what part of the world you're in, but I see marijuana busts using infrared [both indoors and out because the plants themselves have a unique 'signature'] on the news a couple times a month.

That's just *so* 1900's.<g>
Jim

Thanks. Next question would be how the fuck it relates to finding studs.
Does anybody, anywhere, use IR for studfinding? Using a heatgun is too slow anyway. A flame thrower is the way to go.

AZ Nomad posted for all of us...

Well firefighters use it to find hot spots... I was thinking of this when the idjit suggested it. Replace a heck of a lot of drywall for the bux they cost. But I like your next comment the best.

--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

AZ Nomad wrote:

camera looking at rec room walls, but every year or so around here, local news and/or discovery channel shows a tape of IR imaging from a DEA or State Police chopper, cruising out in the country once harvest season starts, looking for hotspots in pole barns. They then do a drive-by, and if it isn't a working farm with animals, investigate further, including pulling utility bills. Nobody monitors utility bills of customers at random.
I don't think they mess with small basement growers much any more- no money in that, for them. They want people growing on an industrial scale, so they can seize and sell off the property and equipment, thereby putting cash in their pocket.
-- aem sends...

The Vegas Metro chopper has FLIR. It would be a simple thing to merely make notes during normal operational hours, and then do surveillance. As an aside, when they notice a green skungy pool, it is their assigned duty to note the property address and notify the Health Department, as at least two cases of West Nile Virus has been diagnosed this year.
Big Brother is alive and well and watching everyone.
Steve

The Tommy Chong look doesn't help either...
AZ Nomad wrote:

If people didn't pull ideas out of their ass you'd be doing your laundry by pounding it with a rock down by the river.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:18:17 -0400, Blattus Slafaly

Shut the fuck up. I have better things to do than implement your pipe dreams. <plonk>
I use an electronic stud finder and plumb bob. Locate 5 or 6 stud areas and position a plumb line over the center of the marks. From the marks you may need to throw out a mark or two. Your plumb line should be over the center of the stud.
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:21:38 -0400, Claude Hopper

Wait I have a better idea. First, take down all the drywall. Then apply uranium radition to the studs. Then put up new drywall. Then get a geiger counter and voila - you'll hear a bunch of loud static when you get near a stud. Brilliant!
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 04:00:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Nothing wrong with a cheap demsity type stud finder - or like we used to do before all that fancy stuff was available - a COMPASS. The needle would find the heads of the drywall nails.
try a cheap electric tooth brush turn it on place handle againt gyprock and you should hear the tone change when it passes over a stud <clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada> wrote in message wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:

Hire Superman for an hour....<G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I have some of those super magnets that are about half the size of a penny. I got a bunch of them on ebay, and they are handy for lots of things. You merely take one and slide it on the wall until it hits a nail head, and then it stays there. You do a couple more, and you got the stud. Best way I have ever found for finding studs.
I have two stud finders, and they are pretty good. Still, sometimes, they give weird readings, and you're not absolutely sure where the stud is. With the magnets, I have better luck than that.
Steve
Richard Evans wrote:

As others have said the electronic units work if you go slow. Many times I use a tape measure measuring from an outlet. There is almost always a stud on one side for the other of an outlet or switch. Take the cover plate off and look for the stud. If you can't see it then use a nail or screwdriver to probe in and find which side the stud is on and then measure from there. Kevin

As an electrician I need to do this on a regular basis. I start at an electrical outlet or switch. The ones that were installed when the house was built are attached to the side of a stud. I remove the wall plate and probe each side of the outlet box to see where the stud is. I also use a short piece of fish tape to push into the wall. I then measure 16" for each additional stud from where I started. This works most of the time, but of course every house is different. I don't own an electronic stud finder. I also look for nail heads popping through or for sloppy spackling over nail heads. I sometimes use my flashlight against the wall and rotate it slowly in several places. The odd angle of the light hitting the wall reveals minor imperfections and can lead to nail heads in a stud.

I have been using small rare earth magnets and the method works great