Finding studs

-snip-

Yup- always use a big enough anchor. I'd probably go for a french cleat for cabinets, though. Glued and screwed to drywall/anchors/studs.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

They can tell if you are using grow lamps to grow marijuana in your basement by the infrared glow of your basement walls.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

If people didn't pull ideas out of their ass you'd be doing your laundry by pounding it with a rock down by the river.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Cite?

They usually go by existance of a utility bill that is five times higher that normal.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Shut the f*ck up. I have better things to do than implement your pipe dreams.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

As an electrician I need to do this on a regular basis. I start at an electrical outlet or switch. The ones that were installed when the house was built are attached to the side of a stud. I remove the wall plate and probe each side of the outlet box to see where the stud is. I also use a short piece of fish tape to push into the wall. I then measure 16" for each additional stud from where I started. This works most of the time, but of course every house is different. I don't own an electronic stud finder. I also look for nail heads popping through or for sloppy spackling over nail heads. I sometimes use my flashlight against the wall and rotate it slowly in several places. The odd angle of the light hitting the wall reveals minor imperfections and can lead to nail heads in a stud.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Here's one with video

Don't know what part of the world you're in, but I see marijuana busts using infrared [both indoors and out because the plants themselves have a unique 'signature'] on the news a couple times a month.

That's just *so* 1900's.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks. Next question would be how the f*ck it relates to finding studs.

Does anybody, anywhere, use IR for studfinding? Using a heatgun is too slow anyway. A flame thrower is the way to go.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Oh, cite yourself. I don't think anyone is driving around with a thermal camera looking at rec room walls, but every year or so around here, local news and/or discovery channel shows a tape of IR imaging from a DEA or State Police chopper, cruising out in the country once harvest season starts, looking for hotspots in pole barns. They then do a drive-by, and if it isn't a working farm with animals, investigate further, including pulling utility bills. Nobody monitors utility bills of customers at random.

I don't think they mess with small basement growers much any more- no money in that, for them. They want people growing on an industrial scale, so they can seize and sell off the property and equipment, thereby putting cash in their pocket.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I use an electronic stud finder and plumb bob. Locate 5 or 6 stud areas and position a plumb line over the center of the marks. From the marks you may need to throw out a mark or two. Your plumb line should be over the center of the stud.

Reply to
Phisherman

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

The Tommy Chong look doesn't help either...

Reply to
Red Green

The Vegas Metro chopper has FLIR. It would be a simple thing to merely make notes during normal operational hours, and then do surveillance. As an aside, when they notice a green skungy pool, it is their assigned duty to note the property address and notify the Health Department, as at least two cases of West Nile Virus has been diagnosed this year.

Big Brother is alive and well and watching everyone.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have been using small rare earth magnets and the method works great

Reply to
beecrofter

Wait I have a better idea. First, take down all the drywall. Then apply uranium radition to the studs. Then put up new drywall. Then get a geiger counter and voila - you'll hear a bunch of loud static when you get near a stud. Brilliant!

Reply to
nospam

Nothing wrong with a cheap demsity type stud finder - or like we used to do before all that fancy stuff was available - a COMPASS. The needle would find the heads of the drywall nails.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Reply to
Don & Lucille

AZ Nomad posted for all of us...

Well firefighters use it to find hot spots... I was thinking of this when the idjit suggested it. Replace a heck of a lot of drywall for the bux they cost. But I like your next comment the best.

Reply to
Tekkie®