Fertilizer spreader settings

A couple of years ago I replaced our no-name spreader, for which settings were always a very wild guess because no fertilizer bags showed the proper settings for it, by a Scotts Edge-Guard, for which "everyone" gives settings.
Today I started spreading our store-brand fertilizer whose bag said to use a setting of 8 to 8 1/4 for the Edge-Guard; I used 8. But by the time I had done about 3000 sf of lawn I'd used an amount of fertilizer that should have been sufficient for 5000 sf. I don't think my "passes" over the lawn were too close together.
Perhaps I should have checked to see what setting for the equivalent Scotts fertilizer was -- but even that might not have been right for the store-brand fertilizer if the granules were smaller or larger.
Have other people had similar problems? Did you find a solution?
Perce

Have the problem all the time but see no solution.

Scotts has turned the trophy lawn into a 'not worth the expense' thing of the past.
Grow weeds, or better yet veggies or fruit, and enjoy the colorful display.
Yep, I gave up a few years ago. Whatever grows I cut it and hope its green!
John
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Not a rocket science. I just set a dial, fill the spreader make one pass readjust setting and keep going until finished. Works all the time.
On Saturday, April 12, 2014 9:20:49 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:

That's what I do too. Start with the suggested setting or what you think is right, then after a few passes eyeball how fast it's going out. Adjust if necessary.
On 4/12/2014 8:20 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Me too.