Fertilizer spreader settings

A couple of years ago I replaced our no-name spreader, for which settings were always a very wild guess because no fertilizer bags showed the proper settings for it, by a Scotts Edge-Guard, for which "everyone" gives settings.

Today I started spreading our store-brand fertilizer whose bag said to use a setting of 8 to 8 1/4 for the Edge-Guard; I used 8. But by the time I had done about 3000 sf of lawn I'd used an amount of fertilizer that should have been sufficient for 5000 sf. I don't think my "passes" over the lawn were too close together.

Perhaps I should have checked to see what setting for the equivalent Scotts fertilizer was -- but even that might not have been right for the store-brand fertilizer if the granules were smaller or larger.

Have other people had similar problems? Did you find a solution?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Have the problem all the time but see no solution.

Reply to
Frank

Scotts has turned the trophy lawn into a 'not worth the expense' thing of the past.

Grow weeds, or better yet veggies or fruit, and enjoy the colorful display.

Yep, I gave up a few years ago. Whatever grows I cut it and hope its green!

John

Reply to
John

Hi, Not a rocket science. I just set a dial, fill the spreader make one pass readjust setting and keep going until finished. Works all the time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's what I do too. Start with the suggested setting or what you think is right, then after a few passes eyeball how fast it's going out. Adjust if necessary.

Reply to
trader_4

Me too.

Reply to