Fertilizer

Page 1 of 3
I'm ticked. The neighbors hire out their yard work to a bunch from south of the border. Today, was out in the hot tub, relaxing, and seen one of the workers, squatting in their bushes, taking a dump!
I confronted the neighbor, but now plan on taking it to the board since all the neighbors must belong to the association. The neighbor told me to mind my own business, they're doing jobs, no Americans want to do. UGH!
Should I make a formal complaint with the police department? Good grief, isn't like we live in the hood over this way. There are kids living in this neighborhood.
Am I just some cranky old fart, or should I demand decency?

This is how these HOA things turn ugly. Assuming you were nice about it, the neighbor should have just said "Thanks for telling me. I will speak with the landscape company" But instead, apparently you have an ass for a neighbor.

IF it really went as you described, I would contact the police and file a report. They will likely then talk to the neighbor, get the name of the landscape company, and likely have a conversation with them.
On 10/5/12 3:30 PM, Rudy wrote:

Camera, YouTube. Then send link to neighbors, HOA officers, police....and la Migra
--
You can observe a lot just by watching.
---Yogi Berra
On 10/5/2012 5:48 PM, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

Are the police seriously going to investigate a guy taking a shit in the bush?

Seriously investigate, as in call out CSI, look for witnesses? No. Will the police go talk to the neighbor and probably the landscape company? Probably
Rudy:
While I can understand how you could be offended by what you saw, problems like this are best handled with kidd gloves.
After all, if you come off as demanding that something be done, you're going to force your neighbor into a defensive position, and he's gonna say "Look Pal, it happened in my bushes on my property. It doesn't affect you, so mind your own business."
That's why I think that if you go to the neighbor or landscaping crew bearing gifts (like a camping toilet), things will start off in a spirit of co-operation.
--
nestork

To get what you want. As opposed to not getting it or even getting an argument.
I myself might talk to the landscape foreman next, because I'm cheap. And because without seeing the place, I'm not sure how it would work. Is there a tree big enough to hide behind? Or would tney still go in public but leave nothing behind. The truck probably has no "inside" where htey can go.
But like he says, everyone gets defensive when someone complains. Some are able to repress that feeling, and at least be polite while you're complaining to them (during which they may agree to do something and ignore the complainer as soon as he leaves) , but Nestork's plan will probably keep them from resenting the complainer to begin with, and is much more likely to cause the OP to get what he wants.
And like he says, they very well might do some cleaning up on his yard in return. Without being asked. (I wouldn't ask) And maybe more than once. A little kindness goes a long way.
Even if this technique doesn't work here, there are often better ways to deal with a problem.
At a college showing of a movie near my apartment when I lived somewhere else, the woman, too old for college, was eating fritos and rustling the bag over and over, incredibly loud for a little bag.. When they changed the reel, instead of demanding or even asking her to stop eating the snacks, I asked her if she planned to continue because if she did, I would find another seat. She said No and stopped for the rest of the movie. (There really was no other seat nearly as good)
At anotehr apartment, someone kept stealing my and my roommates afternoon newspaper. I parked in front of my building, which had windows in and next to the door, and waited until I saw someone come down the stairs and bend down, picking up the paper it was clear. As he headed out of the door, I got out of my car and walked upt the sidewalk to the building meeting him halfway. I had no idea what I was going to say. As i reached him, I put out my hand and took the paper and said "Thanks". I didnt' embarrass him (much, because I looked at the paper and kept walking) )or antagonize him. And the paper was never stolen again.
These are my only two examples. Other times I don't think of clever away and I often don't get what I want.
On 10/8/2012 1:02 PM, micky wrote:

Let's think this through.....go to the landscaper and offer to buy a portapottie for him? Or suggest that he counsel his crew not to poop in the yard? MAYBE, if I saw it happen more than once, I'd call the boss anonymously :o) Good grief....leave the poop complaints for old ladies and/or animal control :o)
micky wrote:

Hmm. Did you consider simply shooting both of the miscreants?

I'm not saying I would buy the toilet, but my previous post was to say why one would do it. Responses like that have a much higher chance of working.
--
nestork

Ahhh...Rule #1 here: People who post here don't want solutions; they want to bitch and moan about things. Yours is an elegant solution. Thank you for that.
Well, never having been Hispanic, yard crew, worked for a foreman, or any of the other qualifiers, I can be ignorant.
I'm pleased that was a typical SM remark, be a real shame if I was someone else.
A typical SM remark.
Why coudln't you figure that out?

Because sometimes paying a few $$ is the expedient thing to do. You must have a LOT of stress in your life, Oren, based on all the bitching and moaning you do here. Time to chill out and find solutions instead of complaining all the time.
If it wuz me, I'd look upon this as an opportunity rather than a problem.
I'd go down to your local sporting goods store and buy a simple "camping toilet" for $15 to $20 and generously present it to the landscaping crew so they can take it with them where they go. Those people aren't dumb. They know where they poop when they have to, and they'll know why you're giving it to them.
[image:
http://www.gallivantingoz.com.au/images/galli_large2.jpg ]
And, I expect that landscaping crew will show their appreciation by doing $15 to $20 worth of yard work in your yard every so often when they're at your neighbor's house.
My father, now passed away, spent a few months in Ukraine. He was in his 90's and wanted to see the place he grew up 75 years later. It turns out that my sister had a nanny that was from near his home town, and she made arrangements for my dad and my other sister to stay with that nanny's family while they were in Ukraine. And, let me tell ya, these people had NOTHING. They didn't have indoor running water; they had a well, and they'd have to heat that water on a two ring hot plate to have a bath. They didn't have an indoor toilet, it was an outhouse. They had electricity, and a radio and that radio was their "entertainment". That nanny is still living in that house, but one of her sons, his wife and their two kids moved to Winnipeg 2 years ago, and now they're living in their own house (which they inherited then the nanny's aunt in Winnipeg passed away). Our family is helping them get established. He's a fireman and she's a nurse, but neither of them can work in those professions here because they're just starting to learn English. Both their kids learned English in grade school in Ukraine. After Gorbachev did his thing, and Ukraine became independant of the USSR, the Ukrainian government started offering ESL (English as a Second Language) education in Ukrainian schools because they believed it would be important for Ukrainians working in Ukrainian industries to communicate in English with companies in Europe and North America. So, both of the kids speak English much better than either of their parents because they learned English in grade school in Ukraine. I would have never expected that.
If nothing else, those landscapers will know you don't want them to poop in your yard.
--
nestork

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 22:22:25 +0000, nestork

Best idea I've read here in a long time.
Sometimes a soft voice turneth away wrath. In this case, it's best idea I've heard in a while. I hope the OP does this, and let us know how it works.
[...]

AMEN! Especially if they're Mexican. Mexicans are some of the most generous people on earth.
On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:37:10 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

This is the nicest thing you've said for a long time, but then you ruined it with the other post I just replied to.