Faulty thermostat question

Can anyone tell if my thermostat needs to be replaced. I have a Lenox Heat Pump with electric aux heater coils and a Lenox 21J7201 thermostat. Last night the outside tempertature dropped down to 12 deg. and the heat pump run almost continuously. Shouldn't the aux. electric coils have kicked in automatically? I had to manually switch the emergency heat on after getting enough courage to get out of a warm bed. I thougtht the electric coil would kink in automatically. It scares me to go away in the winter if the heat pump won't keep the waterlines from freezing. If the thermostat needs to be replaced can you recommend a good DYI unit? Thanks in advance Shel

I am NOT a fan of Lennox...never have been, never will be...but....
That sounds NOT like a thermostat problem. That sounds as if the E and W2 are not jumped, and they need to be. Lennox uses in some cases different terminal designations, so yours may not be the same. Rarely, the thermostat is the actual problem. The E, or emergency heat line works, you proved that. The W2, or aux heat, uses the same coils. Therefore, a small jumper that probably was left out, or removed may be the issue, OR, the unit may have an outdoor thermostat that is either set wrong, or is defective. and will not allow the coils to come on when in normal heating mode.
Thanks for the help. I checked it out and the jumper was left off when the heater coil was replaced last spring. Thanks again, its predicted to go down into the low teens again tonight.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:17:12 -0500, "CBhvac"

thermostat
that.
an
not
CB, I have a problem with my heat that I need to get resolved before it gets too cold. I see that you are from Carolina and was wondering if you know anyone reputable here in the VA Beach area? I have an Apollo system in my home. Unfortunately, the air that comes out of the ducts is barely lukewarm. I am Active Duty Navy, so I really can't afford to get ripped off by a heating/AC contractor.
message

Lenox
switch
W2
different
that
have
Dear Carl, If you could hear the crude language that CBH uses on alt.hvac, and the verbal abuse he dumps on home owners and new techs, you would think again before asking him for a referral.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

gets
off
Dear Carl , Im going to oppose Stormins view for many reasons , simple and yet complicated. Where do I start ?
1 Carl asked CB. Obviously because he thinks he is competant, not you chreesy....
2 CB is as I see it a PRO. his posts prove it
3 Professionals refer pros, equals , or dont refer anyone , because their Name is on it, its as bad as a bad reffrence if you refer a bad guy.
4 Should Carl be concerned on the way a guy talks , NO ..... . 5 Should Carl worry about rudeness , yes, but honesty and competance is the true desire. 6 Rudeness displayed on Trolls , hacks, and morons is justified , This is an UNMODERATED -- - ------MODERATED [get it Chris ],,,,,, . Say- BS ----- Get SLAMED group........
7 CB has more to loose refering a HACK than you know.
8 CB hangs, --- associates with, like, Competance. PROS......... 9 CB is lisenced, insured , bonded, and as I see it Competant. 10 Your idea of a refferal CHRIS is a CUTBACK.....JOKE.
I told you , I deal with all . The guys that try to screww me are the NICE ONES, not the rude busy SOBs. I dont care about you, but dont stick your Mormon SHIT in my face, THIS - IS -- INTERNET Not for Religion, Race , Creed, Color , or beleif. SO STORMIN DONT YOU GET IT YET < YOU IMPOSE Dont impose, = less regection = acceptance.
Impose = objection,

automatically.
the
and
proved
will
Thanks CB. As I said in the initial post, I thought you may know someone in this area that was fair. There are too many contractors out there that prey on us military guys. I certainly did not intend to stir up any problems.
Carl
message

12
aux.