Faulty thermostat question

Can anyone tell if my thermostat needs to be replaced. I have a Lenox Heat Pump with electric aux heater coils and a Lenox 21J7201 thermostat. Last night the outside tempertature dropped down to 12 deg. and the heat pump run almost continuously. Shouldn't the aux. electric coils have kicked in automatically? I had to manually switch the emergency heat on after getting enough courage to get out of a warm bed. I thougtht the electric coil would kink in automatically. It scares me to go away in the winter if the heat pump won't keep the waterlines from freezing. If the thermostat needs to be replaced can you recommend a good DYI unit? Thanks in advance Shel

Reply to
jnsperkins

I am NOT a fan of Lennox...never have been, never will be...but....

That sounds NOT like a thermostat problem. That sounds as if the E and W2 are not jumped, and they need to be. Lennox uses in some cases different terminal designations, so yours may not be the same. Rarely, the thermostat is the actual problem. The E, or emergency heat line works, you proved that. The W2, or aux heat, uses the same coils. Therefore, a small jumper that probably was left out, or removed may be the issue, OR, the unit may have an outdoor thermostat that is either set wrong, or is defective. and will not allow the coils to come on when in normal heating mode.

Reply to
CBhvac

Reply to
jnsperkins

NP...see it all the time...its a common thing. Just dont jumper to the C and you wil be ok..LOL..seriously..

Reply to
CBhvac

CB, I have a problem with my heat that I need to get resolved before it gets too cold. I see that you are from Carolina and was wondering if you know anyone reputable here in the VA Beach area? I have an Apollo system in my home. Unfortunately, the air that comes out of the ducts is barely lukewarm. I am Active Duty Navy, so I really can't afford to get ripped off by a heating/AC contractor.

Reply to
Carl Agren

Dear Carl, If you could hear the crude language that CBH uses on alt.hvac, and the verbal abuse he dumps on home owners and new techs, you would think again before asking him for a referral.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Chris, allow me to give him an example and WHY.

First, f*ck off...you are a hack that knows nothing about alt.hvac other than you found it on your news reader. Now, IF you knew a damn thing about the group, you would also know that homeowners are not welcome in there, like it or not and we DO blast them there. Also, if you notice, so do a few others that also post in here.....so again, you speak about something you are clueless about.

Notice...we post in here....why? BECAUSE alt.hvac IS NOT the place for such. It was never intended to be, and while no one can control the group as its not moderated, you have not been there since the start like a few of us...therefore, might I suggest you read the FAQ that goes for two groups that are and were started about the same time, regarding the same issues.

Now...you just pissed off that he asked a licenced and insured pro that might have a few suggestions for him and not some hack like you?

BTW...if it makes you or anyone else feel better hack, I have packed my bags and left and told the people that they needed another tech before...not due to not knowing how to fix a unit, but because every so often, like today, we discover this thing called a personality conflict, and we do NOT have to fix a damn thing...all my guys are told that if they get abused, stop...pack up, leave. Dont charge a damn thing...and have them call me. No one, including the customer wants to be abused, and if there is no way around it, tough...leave...that goes for you in the group as well.

Reply to
CBhvac

I dont deal with many of the hydronic systems, but I just got the message and called my supply house manager, who is from VA and I trust fully. I should hear back from him later tonight and will post or mail what he suggests. I might make a suggestion....as I have one customer here who has the Apollo system that has suffered the same issue. Check the obvious...the filters, and pull the air handler cover with the power off and check the coil. If the coils covered in crud, thats your problem.

automatically.

Reply to
CBhvac

Dear Carl , Im going to oppose Stormins view for many reasons , simple and yet complicated. Where do I start ?

1 Carl asked CB. Obviously because he thinks he is competant, not you chreesy....

2 CB is as I see it a PRO. his posts prove it

3 Professionals refer pros, equals , or dont refer anyone , because their Name is on it, its as bad as a bad reffrence if you refer a bad guy.

4 Should Carl be concerned on the way a guy talks , NO ..... .

5 Should Carl worry about rudeness , yes, but honesty and competance is the true desire. 6 Rudeness displayed on Trolls , hacks, and morons is justified , This is an UNMODERATED -- - ------MODERATED [get it Chris ],,,,,, . Say- BS ----- Get SLAMED group........

7 CB has more to loose refering a HACK than you know.

8 CB hangs, --- associates with, like, Competance. PROS......... 9 CB is lisenced, insured , bonded, and as I see it Competant. 10 Your idea of a refferal CHRIS is a CUTBACK.....JOKE.

I told you , I deal with all . The guys that try to screww me are the NICE ONES, not the rude busy SOBs. I dont care about you, but dont stick your Mormon SHIT in my face, THIS - IS -- INTERNET Not for Religion, Race , Creed, Color , or beleif. SO STORMIN DONT YOU GET IT YET < YOU IMPOSE Dont impose, = less regection = acceptance.

Impose = objection,

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks CB. As I said in the initial post, I thought you may know someone in this area that was fair. There are too many contractors out there that prey on us military guys. I certainly did not intend to stir up any problems.

obvious...the

in

Reply to
Carl Agren