Faucet puller

I need a handle puller for my 20 year old faucet. I have checked all my catalogs and Googled quite a bit. I need something that will fit below the "globe" and pull it straight up. 3 or 4 "fingers" will be needed.

  1. There is nly one allen screw in the small cylinder below the globe. It has been removed.

  1. There is a decorative button in the center of the globe that has been pressed in. It could probably be removed but most certainly would be damaged in the process.

  2. I have several of these fixtures and they pull up easily once the set screw is removed. This one seems "fused" in place.

  1. I realize that by unscrewing that large cylindrical base counterclockwise (using a strap wrench) it would raise and might create enough pressure to push up the handle. I am saving this as a last resort.

So, does anyone have any idea if a puller for this situation is available?

Here is the link to the photo .. hopefully it will work. This is my first attempt at using PhotoBucket. If only a thumbnail shows, double click on it.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

For a puller to work you would have to remove the button. Still be hard to find a puller for that. Stack some scrap wood - or even books - on one side, level with the bottom of the globe. Get screwdrivers or other tools long enough to get some leverage on each side of the bottom of the globe and pry straight up. That's what I'd do. I'd suggest a method with bottle jacks but don't want to crack the vanity top.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Have you soaked it with a good penetrant like 'Kroil' ? Another possibility would be one of the bearing pullers auto mechanics use, such as the Matco 1123 or Harbor Freight 3979. Well padded these would work very nicely.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks Guys!!! Problem solved.

I applied Kroil to the top button area hoping that it would work its way down and lubricate the shaft. I used very small amounts, every few hours for 24 hours.

(As I mentioned in my original post, there is nothing holding the handle in place other than the set screw.)

I then put my strap wrench on the large base and turned it counterclockwise as I would to remove it. It gradually raised upwards WITH EASE this time. Thank you Kroil! As it moved upward it pushed the knob along with it .. and problem solved! I was amazed at how little pressure it took to do this.

I shall now go to H.F. and look at that puller .. if it is not too expensive I will get it to add to my collection.

Thanks again to all !

Norm

Reply to
NSN