Fascia, Vinyl or Aluminum?

Planning on covering my soffit with vinyl. Just installed a new roof and will be replacing gutters. I was going to use aluminum fascia, extending down about ½ inch to accept the vinyl soffit. Tuck it up under drip edge, face nail it, the gutter will be against it too. Is this acceptable? Or should I use an F-channel on the fascia side too? That?s the way I see vinyl fascia put up. Is there an advantage over one to the other?

Thanks. TP

Reply to
TP

retired elderly green thumb neighbor lady told me all about the salesman that sold her the lifetime guaranteed vinyl soffit and fascia nearly twenty years ago so she wouldn't have to constantly be scraping and repainting that stuff while it and a lot of rotted wood was being replaced. Said she'd much rather scrape and repaint than be constantly fixing the vinyl stuff that caused wood rot.

Reply to
bumtracks

Wood rots with or without vinyl over it these days. I would get a composition fascia made with glues which resist water and rot. It is on my house and so far holding up fine over 8 years. Neighbor houses with wood trim looks like crap.

Reply to
Art

If the vinyl material is anything like the vinyl rain gutters, USE ALUMINUM. A neighbor had a vinyl gutter job that was less than 5 years old. It was cracked and warped before some 3/4 inch hail balls filled it full of holes. The same hail storm did nothing to my aluminum gutters on my house or the steel gutters on my shed. Besides all of this, the vinyl gutters were always leaky at their joints from the time they were first installed.

Reply to
maradcliff