Fan switch gremlin

An electrical storm messed up a ceiling fan switch. The fan is an old Hunter - the kind that runs in an oil bath - and it had a 2 way switch. Hard to find such but I did and installed it. Line in, 2 wires out...one for high, one for low.
The original switch functioned High-Off-Low-Off. New one is High-Low-Off-Off. Can anyone tell me what the problem is with the new one?
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
dadiOH wrote:

Personally I don't really see a problem. :-)
I suggest you turn the power off and with a meter check out the possible wiring combinations of that switch. There should be six
1 2 3 P H L P L H L P H H P L H L P L H P
I suspect one will give you High-Off-Low-Off and another Low-Off-High-Off
Frankly I would just leave it alone if it were mine.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
--
-john

In order to define poor, we must define good, and good is subjective at best, at